Anyone know if my guess is right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to the forums, so first hello to everyone. I noticed a few weeks back some white spots on a few of the common minnows in the pond and went to Pondkeeper who advised me to get the aquarium based white spot treatment since I also have a few mature tadpoles. I started treatment 3 days ago and have just started another treatment since some spots are still present on the fish. I have been carefully monitoring and watching the fish over the past few days and I'm getting concerned my initial diagnosis might be incorrect. This is my first pond but I've kept marine and freshwater aquariums for over 20 years and as everyone knows whitespot is a fairly common issue in that hobby but I'm not 100% convinced this is it. The treatment states it kills most waterborne parasites so it should help if it's a parasite. Can anyone identify if this is whitespot or something else? Please see the attached (bad) photo.

Kind regards

minnow.jpg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums! Does not look like ich to me which is more like sprinkled salt. Fuzzy is usually a fungus, but although blurry, your pic looks more like a large nodule of some sort.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums! Does not look like ich to me which is more like sprinkled salt. Fuzzy is usually a fungus, but although blurry, your pic looks more like a large nodule of some sort.
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t think it looked like white spot when I finally managed to get up close and personal. Could it be a bacterial infection? Gutted had planned to get a few Shubunkins at the weekend but that isn’t going to happen until I can sort this out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it looks like carp pox, at least it’s not something that will actually kill the fish. My dilemma is whether or not to introduce any other fish considering this will be passed on. But I have also read that 50% of fish can have this virus so in all probability one of the 3 Shubunkins I get will already have it and pass it around anyway. Nightmare.

Ask a Question