Aquaponics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is a rough idea layout I have for now. I’ve got one stand already, which I will be modifying to be the grow bed, lined, and with a catch bin below.

Attachments

• E6AD0362-E98B-4B78-9184-5BBA445C7316.jpeg
    E6AD0362-E98B-4B78-9184-5BBA445C7316.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 152
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Which test system do you recommend? I’ve just been letting the pool be natural, aside from one pump that failed to be as strong as it said it’d be, which my dogs ate when I had my pool dry for cleaning due to anchor worms. I now know quarantining! And Melafix for my fish! I may be too ambitious, trying to get too much started. We are out on 10 acres, and the property has fallen into a mild disrepair. I’m trying to develop a garden the guys won’t kill if I’m gone for an extended period of time, raised beds to keep the invasive grasses out, filter the pond water, and I need it to survive my bumbling attempts.
For a water quality test kit, use API's master pond test kit https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=670#.Wh6lALYZNds
Also be sure to pick up their KH/GH test kit as well.
For iron water testing, I would have a look at your source water quality test results if you are on a municipal system, or the test results from your water well. After that, I would watch your plant growth for signs of iron deficiency (yellowing leaves, for example) before adding iron in the form of a foliar spray. Adding iron directly to the water could result in nuisance algae blooms. I have found that iron deficiency is an issue in aquaponics, but you need to be aware of your water quality before taking any action.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Go on you tube there is lots of video's of these systems working and how to get started and what you need .I find youtube is a great info source for everything .I have gone on there for videos to fix things around my house

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh I do a lot of YouTube. That’s where I found the aquaponics. Then I’ve hit a few other sites, it’s what gave me my rough draft! My next step will be building the bed, a catch bin, ang getting the grow media, pumps, and set up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here they have a set up done in those shipping containers and have 2 ponds with fish in it outside to use the fish waste to feed the plants .

Ask a Question