Aquaponics

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh I live in Alberta, we dont have as bad issues with electricity costs because it isnt hydro. Its the east that gets a lot of their power from hydro, and it costs them dearly. Its $90 a month for me. I dont think the electricity bill will spike too much already have 2 gaming PCs in my home. Mine doubles as a space heater when i want it to.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Grow lights are a good idea for sure. It costs about $2 for a 15 minute shower out here, by rough math. The extra price is worth the homegrown food, even moreso when you consider the knowledge gained
Ah, I was going to ask about sunlight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Belmont!
An aquaponics system is a fun learning experience.
Be sure to post your construction and questions as you go along. (y)
Ask questions before you buy so you don't waste any money.
Our Alberta climate has a lot of challenges that most of the aquaponics websites out there don't take into consideration.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome Belmont!
An aquaponics system is a fun learning experience.
Be sure to post your construction and questions as you go along. (y)
Ask questions before you buy so you don't waste any money.
Our Alberta climate has a lot of challenges that most of the aquaponics websites out there don't take into consideration.
Alberta definitely has a...unique climate. Keeps you on your toes, anyway. Hardest part is going to be finding the parts, I think. Probably have to order it all online. Ill throw some ideas down probably somewhat soon.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Anyway, got bored in class and sketched what I was thinking for the water loop. Red is powered by a pump, blue is just gravity.

Attachments

• tmp_28030-20170602_124213659532793.jpg
    tmp_28030-20170602_124213659532793.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 217

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Anyway, got bored in class and sketched what I was thinking for the water loop. Red is powered by a pump, blue is just gravity.

Where is the biofiltration? A must with any aquaponics set-up. Plants alone will not maintain the water quality required for the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
tube light can replace the direct sunlight needed for veg plants ?
eg a plant require 8hr sun , if u get 5 and u add 3 hour growing light , will it work?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The UV light is not necessary. It won't do any good.
What are you using for media in the plant bed?
Where are you located in Alberta that parts need to be ordered online?
There are many different ways to set up the top plant bed, do you have a design for that in mind?
You can add worms to the media bed which will help break down detritus if you want to use a bell siphon for drainage back down to the aquarium.

To purchase tilapia in Alberta you need a permit, and shubunkins will grow too large for a small aquarium, I suggest to stick with comet goldfish.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The UV light is not necessary. It won't do any good.
What are you using for media in the plant bed?
Where are you located in Alberta that parts need to be ordered online?
There are many different ways to set up the top plant bed, do you have a design for that in mind?
You can add worms to the media bed which will help break down detritus if you want to use a bell siphon for drainage back down to the aquarium.

To purchase tilapia in Alberta you need a permit, and shubunkins will grow too large for a small aquarium, I suggest to stick with comet goldfish.
Good to know about the UV light. Havent decided on plant media yet, open to suggestion. I live about 40km west of Edmonton, dont know of any places around that sell aquaponics supplies, Im willing to go to Edmonton if you know a place. Havent really decided on how Im going to set up the plant bed either. Good to know about the fish, too.

Where is the biofiltration? A must with any aquaponics set-up. Plants alone will not maintain the water quality required for the fish.
In the sketch I drew, the biofilter was before the UV light, the water passes from the biofilter to the UV filter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
... I live about 40km west of Edmonton, dont know of any places around that sell aquaponics supplies, Im willing to go to Edmonton if you know a place. Havent really decided on how Im going to set up the plant bed either. Good to know about the fish, too....

Use Google to search for hydroponics stores in Edmonton. You could also look through Craigslist, Kijiji or Edmonton aquarium clubs for some used aquarium equipment.
I learned a lot by going through the videos on https://www.theaquaponicsource.com
I also purchased a few bell siphon units from them.
With a bell siphon system, you need to use a bed media such as Hydrocorn or, you could set up a system with a floating bed of hard styrofoam. Another choice would be to set up a system of PVC tubes that you can find instructions for on this Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNLE33fcMMW3uYINssFKBQ

There are a lot of decisions to make, but make sure to setup a system that fits within your budget and gives you some financial room to play around a bit with the system.

Also, choose some low light plants to start, like some lettuce varieties.
High light plants are expensive to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m down in the US, Oklahoma from you guys. But I’m very interested in starting an aquaponics system off my above ground pool/ pond. There doesn’t seem to be much talk about using ponds for aquaponics, any reason why? I’m planning to try with just one bed at first. I’ve got such a small amount of fish for the big pool, so I’ll do a test bed about 3’x4’. I’ve got a frame already, and I’ll be putting in a board, liner, drain holes, media, with a catch basin below. I’m trying to find a good way to grow plants on a raised bed away from this darn Johnson grass that took over last years garden. Any advice?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I’m down in the US, Oklahoma from you guys. But I’m very interested in starting an aquaponics system off my above ground pool/ pond. There doesn’t seem to be much talk about using ponds for aquaponics, any reason why? I’m planning to try with just one bed at first. I’ve got such a small amount of fish for the big pool, so I’ll do a test bed about 3’x4’. I’ve got a frame already, and I’ll be putting in a board, liner, drain holes, media, with a catch basin below. I’m trying to find a good way to grow plants on a raised bed away from this darn Johnson grass that took over last years garden. Any advice?

You need positive water test readings for nitrates, phosphorous and iron, a PH of 7 or below and a plumbing setup that will give your plants a good balance of water and oxygen.
The only thing stopping me from setting up an aquaponics setup outside is the freezing temperature and the damage it would do.
There is a very good aquaponics website out of Australia http://www.backyardaquaponics.com that you could get some plumbing ideas from.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Which test system do you recommend? I’ve just been letting the pool be natural, aside from one pump that failed to be as strong as it said it’d be, which my dogs ate when I had my pool dry for cleaning due to anchor worms. I now know quarantining! And Melafix for my fish! I may be too ambitious, trying to get too much started. We are out on 10 acres, and the property has fallen into a mild disrepair. I’m trying to develop a garden the guys won’t kill if I’m gone for an extended period of time, raised beds to keep the invasive grasses out, filter the pond water, and I need it to survive my bumbling attempts.

Ask a Question