Aquaponics

Discussion in 'Newbies to Garden Ponds' started by Belmont, May 31, 2017.

1. Belmont

Nyboy

Nyboy, Jun 2, 2017
    Belmont likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Belmont

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Where is the biofiltration? A must with any aquaponics set-up. Plants alone will not maintain the water quality required for the fish.

Meyer Jordan, Jun 2, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Belmont

Usman

tube light can replace the direct sunlight needed for veg plants ?
    eg a plant require 8hr sun , if u get 5 and u add 3 hour growing light , will it work?

Usman, Jun 3, 2017
  4. Belmont

MitchM

The UV light is not necessary. It won't do any good.
    What are you using for media in the plant bed?
    Where are you located in Alberta that parts need to be ordered online?
    There are many different ways to set up the top plant bed, do you have a design for that in mind?
    You can add worms to the media bed which will help break down detritus if you want to use a bell siphon for drainage back down to the aquarium.

To purchase tilapia in Alberta you need a permit, and shubunkins will grow too large for a small aquarium, I suggest to stick with comet goldfish.

MitchM, Jun 3, 2017
    Belmont and Meyer Jordan like this.
  5. Belmont

Belmont

Good to know about the UV light. Havent decided on plant media yet, open to suggestion. I live about 40km west of Edmonton, dont know of any places around that sell aquaponics supplies, Im willing to go to Edmonton if you know a place. Havent really decided on how Im going to set up the plant bed either. Good to know about the fish, too.

In the sketch I drew, the biofilter was before the UV light, the water passes from the biofilter to the UV filter.

Belmont, Jun 5, 2017
  6. Belmont

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

In the overall water flow pattern, the biofilter should be placed before the planting bed, not after.

Meyer Jordan, Jun 5, 2017
    Belmont likes this.
  7. Belmont

MitchM

Use Google to search for hydroponics stores in Edmonton. You could also look through Craigslist, Kijiji or Edmonton aquarium clubs for some used aquarium equipment.
    I learned a lot by going through the videos on https://www.theaquaponicsource.com
    I also purchased a few bell siphon units from them.
    With a bell siphon system, you need to use a bed media such as Hydrocorn or, you could set up a system with a floating bed of hard styrofoam. Another choice would be to set up a system of PVC tubes that you can find instructions for on this Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNLE33fcMMW3uYINssFKBQ

There are a lot of decisions to make, but make sure to setup a system that fits within your budget and gives you some financial room to play around a bit with the system.

Also, choose some low light plants to start, like some lettuce varieties.
    High light plants are expensive to grow.

MitchM, Jun 5, 2017
    Belmont and Meyer Jordan like this.
  8. Belmont

JamieB

I’m down in the US, Oklahoma from you guys. But I’m very interested in starting an aquaponics system off my above ground pool/ pond. There doesn’t seem to be much talk about using ponds for aquaponics, any reason why? I’m planning to try with just one bed at first. I’ve got such a small amount of fish for the big pool, so I’ll do a test bed about 3’x4’. I’ve got a frame already, and I’ll be putting in a board, liner, drain holes, media, with a catch basin below. I’m trying to find a good way to grow plants on a raised bed away from this darn Johnson grass that took over last years garden. Any advice?

JamieB, Nov 28, 2017
  9. Belmont

MitchM

You need positive water test readings for nitrates, phosphorous and iron, a PH of 7 or below and a plumbing setup that will give your plants a good balance of water and oxygen.
    The only thing stopping me from setting up an aquaponics setup outside is the freezing temperature and the damage it would do.
    There is a very good aquaponics website out of Australia http://www.backyardaquaponics.com that you could get some plumbing ideas from.

MitchM, Nov 28, 2017
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  10. Belmont

JamieB

Which test system do you recommend? I’ve just been letting the pool be natural, aside from one pump that failed to be as strong as it said it’d be, which my dogs ate when I had my pool dry for cleaning due to anchor worms. I now know quarantining! And Melafix for my fish! I may be too ambitious, trying to get too much started. We are out on 10 acres, and the property has fallen into a mild disrepair. I’m trying to develop a garden the guys won’t kill if I’m gone for an extended period of time, raised beds to keep the invasive grasses out, filter the pond water, and I need it to survive my bumbling attempts.

JamieB, Nov 28, 2017
  11. Belmont

JamieB

This is a rough idea layout I have for now. I’ve got one stand already, which I will be modifying to be the grow bed, lined, and with a catch bin below.

Attached Files:

JamieB, Nov 28, 2017
  12. Belmont

MitchM

For a water quality test kit, use API's master pond test kit https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=670#.Wh6lALYZNds
    Also be sure to pick up their KH/GH test kit as well.
    For iron water testing, I would have a look at your source water quality test results if you are on a municipal system, or the test results from your water well. After that, I would watch your plant growth for signs of iron deficiency (yellowing leaves, for example) before adding iron in the form of a foliar spray. Adding iron directly to the water could result in nuisance algae blooms. I have found that iron deficiency is an issue in aquaponics, but you need to be aware of your water quality before taking any action.

MitchM, Nov 29, 2017
  13. Belmont

JamieB

That’s the kind of info I need! Thank you

JamieB, Nov 29, 2017
  14. Belmont

sissy sissy

Go on you tube there is lots of video's of these systems working and how to get started and what you need .I find youtube is a great info source for everything .I have gone on there for videos to fix things around my house

sissy, Nov 29, 2017
  15. Belmont

JamieB

Oh I do a lot of YouTube. That’s where I found the aquaponics. Then I’ve hit a few other sites, it’s what gave me my rough draft! My next step will be building the bed, a catch bin, ang getting the grow media, pumps, and set up.

JamieB, Nov 29, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  16. Belmont

sissy sissy

Here they have a set up done in those shipping containers and have 2 ponds with fish in it outside to use the fish waste to feed the plants .

sissy, Nov 29, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question