Aquatic plants brown edges and dying. Tried and tested many things already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello this is just my opinion. One different thing you added this year is extra aeration, so you have a lot of plants covering the water surface, to produce oxygen. Now with all those daytime oxygen giving plants, and extra aeration, that's a lot of oxygen, so maybe that's how the algae is growing. High temps can also mean lower carbon dioxide, so perhaps they are lacking Co2,, which is needed for healthy growth. Maybe run the extra aeration at night and leave it off during the day and see what happens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for all the thoughts and advice. Lots of great ideas with a lot of merit.
So, I've made some changes today, and I'll report whether they make a difference.

1. I've put shade cloth over the pond. I used to have grapevines on the wires, but they were killed by some plant disease that destroyed a lot of plants in my yard a few years ago.
2. I've trimmed back the reeds and pulled out as many runners as I could find in the filter.
3. I've set the aerators on a timer to only run when it's dark.

Picture of changed setup: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oLasfN4HCqtFRysa7

Couple of other things:
* The pond has always been clear in the winter and murky in the spring, but then the plants take over, and the water clears up, though not completely, once the pond is all covered in plants..
* I don't think the fish/turtle load is too much for a pond this size. I used to have more fish and no problems.
* For a a couple of years, I also had water lettuce, but I don't like it so got rid of it again last fall.
* It's not been nearly as hot as in Sac / The Delta, we only had a couple of days around 100 in Sunnyvale, a lots of foggy mornings -- much more humid than most years.

I'll report back!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Allright helpful people, here is an update.

I did another water test, and this time everything was normal again, except Nitrate was very high (over 80, less than 120). (I wonder whether I did the test wrong the first time, you have to be very accurate with shaking the drops.) I also realized that I hadn't seen much of the fish or turtles in the last couple of week, I was also very busy with work, but there was a lot less scrambling for the food in the morning. I did a significant water change, then another one three days later. That brought the Nitrates down. Also added some beneficial bacteria. Checked on the filter, thinking maybe it had gone bad in the heat (not that it ever has), and when I rummaged around ALL THE SLUDGE WAS GONE. My filter always has a ton of sludge, in fact, I have to take it apart at least once a year to get rid of it. Did another water change today, and added another helping of bacteria. Maybe that is making a difference, too soon to tell, but the Nitrates are down to non-stressing. Threw in a few of the good water hyacinth from the plant tub, as canaries. Maybe the water is a tad less murky.The other plants are not worse, but not better, maybe there are a few new leaves without brown on the pond iris.
I continue to be mystified.
I will report back.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-8-12_9-55-21.gif
@Aleks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Not that it matters but I would kill to have my hyacinths looking that good. Mine are brown and nasty looking. I believe my problem is high pH. My pH is always over 8. What is your actual pH raeding?

Attachments

• 20180715_210347.jpg
    20180715_210347.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 142
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, my pH varies quite a bit throughout the day (that's normal), going as high as 8 and as low as 6. The picture of the good looking hyacinths is how it used to be. The bad looking ones is how it's now. I actually saw some new growth today...I dare to hope. (It's kinda infuriating, because the ones at my other place in the river are a pest, and we are trying to get RID of them because they clog up boats and the shoreline. Kinda funny.)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is an UPDATE. I did one more water change, then left the water alone as Nitrate levels are now acceptable (<40). Continued to add the 0-0-3 Fertilizer twice a week, now once a week, and the beneficial bacteria, also twice a week, now once a week.
The water has started to clear up.
The fish are hungrier.
There is new, dark green growth on my plants.
You can see on the two new pictures that there is darker growth, and you can see parts of the body of the large fish.
My plan is to do another water change in a couple of weeks (don't want to get rid of the good bacteria by doing big water changes), and keep adding the good stuff until it gets cold, then let the pond rest, and hope for better growth in the spring.

PS: It'a a bit ironic that while I am struggling to grow water hyacinth in my pond, there is so much of it in the (Sacramento River) Delta, that they have to spray a couple of times a year to keep it from clogging up everything. I was tempted to take a few bags of that with me, but was told that's a bad idea because parasites and bacteria.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you forgot to attach photos @Aleks .

Question for you - how are you adding fertilizer to your pond plants? And why the continued use of bacteria in a bottle? How do you feel that will help your plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oLasfN4HCqtFRysa7

* I use a liquid 0-0-3 fertilizer since they are floating plants
* The instructions say to keep adding the bacteria, so I'll do that until the weather turns.
* The bacteria are helping the overall water quality and balance, which helps the plants and all living things in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But you have fish in the pond, right? Fish provide fertilizer for the plants, floating and otherwise. And yes, bacteria is essential to a well-balanced pond, but it's already there, with no help from you. I mean, add it if you want - you already bought it after all - but I'm just sayin'.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

PS: It'a a bit ironic that while I am struggling to grow water hyacinth in my pond, there is so much of it in the (Sacramento River) Delta, that they have to spray a couple of times a year to keep it from clogging up everything. ...

Take your water test kit down to the delta and see how that water quality differs from your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Final Update: Look at my beautiful dark green plants! (Even though it's October.)
The water is not completely clear, but it's not pea soup anymore. The fish a happy.
I am going to stop fertilizing and adding bacteria for winter, and then start again in spring.
Here is a final picture and also added to the album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BNSHXQgsSX9aCnmk8

@MitchM: Taking the kit to the Delta is a good idea. I'll do that.
20181011_074405.jpg

Ask a Question