HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks again guys and dolls :)

Haro you really think it's an Oak. That's what people told me here before that they thought it was quite awhile back but how come it never gets any bigger? Do Oaks grow super slow and if I left it where it is and it's an Oak it will kill our deck and eat our house up eventually. I will have to move it out in the way back part of our property. You sure it's an Oak? If so I'm moving it this fall when it loses the leaves.

Definitely! Probably a Red Oak, but I don't think they are native to your area. Of course, acorns can be transported great distances and take root far from home. Oak trees grow VERRRYY slowly, but beware... one of these days it will TAKE OVER YOUR YARD!!! :eek:
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Definitely! Probably a Red Oak, but I don't think they are native to your area. Of course, acorns can be transported great distances and take root far from home. Oak trees grow VERRRYY slowly, but beware... one of these days it will TAKE OVER YOUR YARD!!! :eek:
John
loooooooooooong after we are all gone lol, well maybe not we got 30 plus years with good health on our side

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sheesh then I must transplant it this fall. Think it has been in that spot for about 3 yrs doing a tiny bit of growing. I have no clue how it got there. We never see any squirrels in our yard but one could have sneaked in w/o us seeing it or I suppose a bird could have dropped it or some other critter. Hope it will transplant easy and won't die from moving it.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The pink flowers are a type of Moss Saxifrage. My sweetie found it in one of her books. This picture is of a white form, but you can see the foliage is the same.
Mossy_Saxifrage.jpg[1].jpg

John

Reaction score
Plants starting to bloom and coming alive today. Even the fish got fed today, mostly to save my Hornwort.

Little wildlife pond in the center w/ azolla and a small reed plant growing.
View attachment 69764

Fish feeding frenzy.
View attachment 69765

Little Shubunkin getting bigger.
View attachment 69766

May not look too pretty but my Banana tree is coming back.
View attachment 69767

Lots of things really starting to grow now.
View attachment 69768

Daylily leaves and Pink Sea Thrift
View attachment 69769

Bleeding Heart
View attachment 69770

Golden Chain Tree finally getting blooms. I got a start off the neighbors tree a couple years ago.
View attachment 69771

I forgot what this is.
View attachment 69772

Lilac smells so good.
View attachment 69773
Your garden is beautiful, that Bleeding Heart is out of this world! Nice work

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JW. Could that be an oak tree? I have a tiny one that loses it leaves too and doesn't do much. The mommy tree is across the street from us. I have thought about replanting it but don't have the time or patience to watch it grow. I noticed most of your goldfish are orange. For some reason I have a lot of white ones. Everything looks great!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
JW. Could that be an oak tree? I have a tiny one that loses it leaves too and doesn't do much. The mommy tree is across the street from us. I have thought about replanting it but don't have the time or patience to watch it grow. I noticed most of your goldfish are orange. For some reason I have a lot of white ones. Everything looks great!

Everyone keeps saying it must be an oak tree so I am really starting to believe it is now. I did not realize they grew so slow. I know they get huge or maybe there are different varieties where some don't get as huge as the ones that I think of when I think of an Oak. It's going to get transplanted and hope it's survives cuz would be neat to have one. I never have seen any around here.

Yep most all my fish are oj as they started out from 12 cheap feeder fish abt 12 yrs ago. I did pick up some oj/white ones off of free cycle several years ago so do have some of those and some pure white/fleshy colored ones and also have abt 6 shubbies I bought.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The pink flowers are a type of Moss Saxifrage. My sweetie found it in one of her books. This picture is of a white form, but you can see the foliage is the same. View attachment 69968
John

Good sleuthing on your wife's part cuz I believe that is what it actually is. It grows rather low to the ground and I think it kinda likes shade and moisture. Oh wait I see from the article below it can take sun also but just not too hot.

Addy I think I just grew that stuff from a seed package really cheap. I wrecked a bunch of it and thought I lost it all but now it is starting to make a comeback slowly.

Just found this on it:
saxifraga.jpg

Saxifraga (Saxifraga Arendsii Rose Robe) - What a charming little ground cover plant for cooler climates! Saxifraga seeds readily establish, and this perennial does well edging a border, spilling over a wall, or in containers. Often called Moss Saxifraga or Mossy Saxifrage, it forms a low evergreen mound of bright green leaves that bear short stems of small cup-shaped rose-pink flowers. Rose Mossy Saxifrage prefers cool growing conditions and does not tolerate drought or hot humid weather. In warmer zones, make sure it gets afternoon shade. Saxifraga care includes trimming back the stems once their flowers fade to neaten the ground cover plants, but no other trimming is needed during the year. Rose Saxifraga will self-seed but not to the point of crowding.

How To Grow Mossy Saxifrage: Sow Saxifraga seeds directly outdoors in either the fall or the spring. Prepare soil by loosening the top 1 - 2 inches and weeding. Saxifraga plants prefer well-draining soil, so amend soil if needed, adding sand or fine grit. The soil pH preferably should be mildly alkaline. Sow the Saxifraga ground cover seeds on the surface, lightly walking over the seeds to help make good contact with the soil. Keep the ground cover seeds constantly moist until germination occurs. Saxifraga plants like sun, but as they are germinating and establishing protect from direct sunlight.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn it wants afternoon shade, cross that off my list, we don't have any

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I have mine in afternoon shade. I wanted some Peony's too but I'm running out of shady spots. Mostly sun here too all day long. I wonder if Peony's could just be in sun here cuz we don't get that hot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
JW I have several peonies and all in full sun. They do fine.

Ask a Question