Back home after 4 months....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
This year I thought I would winter the goldfish instead of finding them a new home each year.When we left for Arizona for the winter I shut the pond down and covered it with plywood, and a tarp with hay inside to help insulate it. The pond is only about 20" deep so I was concerned with it freezing solid, it was even to shallow to have the Pond Breather sit in properly. When I left the pond had drained down about 5" in 2 days and knew I had a leak but had to leave. The house was shut up for the winter and water shut off and blown out in case it froze with a power outage. Had to hope for the best with aprox. 30 feeder gold fish for the winter
Just got home yesterday and uncovered the pond to find I still had most the fish alive and only had 2 fatalities. There is still ice in the pond and a large lump of it in the bottom around one of the Lilly plants, surprised it was not floating . The fish where all under the ice lump and not in the open area and seem to be doing well after I topped up the pond. I probably lost around 1/3 of the water. I am planning on a complete rebuild this spring with a new liner so I am not concerned with the small leak for now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are pretty tough those goldfish. My hubby bought a foreclosure, years ago, found a small pond in the front yard. It was a preform, maybe 200 gallons, shallow, covered with plywood. He took off the plywood and there where live fish in the water. This was after a really cold winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The top of my mini pond froze over this winter, killed a few of mine. But they survived. I’ve had them survive in just a few inches of water under ice, they are sturdy fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Friend of mine thought all her goldfish where gone so she drained the pond. Two months later moved a rock and found 2 fish in a bit of water underneath.

Ask a Question