Backflush kit for filterfalls, Overflow kit for skimmer

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
GRRR! Got the pond dug, got the underlayment and the liner put in today. Started digging the hole for the skimmer. Will finish tomorrow and get it plumbed to the filterfalls, and get both attached to the liner, and hopefully get some water in the pond. However.....

I did not order (newbie mistake) a backflush kit for the filterfalls, nor did I order a bulkhead fitting for the skimmer overflow pipe. I am definitely a newbie to all this plumbing stuff, and if I don't do these things now, it seems like it would be near impossible to do it down the road when the skimmer has been backfilled and the filterfalls have been covered in dirt and rocks (waterfall complete). IS IT POSSIBLE to do it later? Is a bulkhead fitting something I could get at Lowe's or HD, or does it have to be specifically made for this skimmer? Can I make my own backflush for the filterfalls rather than getting a kit?

What exactly does it mean to backflush a filter? How does a person who does not have a backflush option clean their biofalls filter?

I know this is a lot of questions. I'd like to get this done tomorrow, but I don't want to not do something critical that will be easier now than later.

My skimmer is Atlantic PS4500 http://www.pondworld.com/atlanticps4500pondskimmer.aspx and my filterfalls is Big Bahama Pro BF2600 http://www.koipondfever.com/p-261-atlantic-big-bahama-bf2600-filterfalls.aspx and here is a link to the backflush kit http://pond-parts.com/product.php?id_product=246

Thanks for any advice. I am exhausted, and my blisters are screaming. Still have digging to do for the skimmer. I would like to NEVER dig another hole as long as I live.

Sandy

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You will need either a bulk head or a uniseal for the over flow from the skimmer, and it's best to install before back filling. You can use almost any bulkhead type fitting as long as it makes a good seal as it's not going to be under mush pressure at all. Now for the back flush I buy all my items at lowes. here is a pic of mine in the rough. Maybe it will help explain how it works. The three inch line is the line from the skimmer to the filter falls, the two inch line is the back flush. Best way to clean is also have a one way check valve by the pump. when you unplug the pump then open the two inch valve the water flushes out the filter box, close the valve and turn the pump back on. Pretty simple cleaning.

Attachments

• DSC04215.JPG
    DSC04215.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 444

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
So basically backflushing is just letting all the dirty water in the filter drain out the bottom? When I look at the parts and description of the "backflush kit", they make it seem like there is water being pumped into the filter from the top which rinses the media and then it drains out the bottom. Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly though. And I'm sure there is more than one way to do this also. As I mentioned, I'm not a plumbing expert and I still have SO much to learn.

Thanks for the photo and your explanation!

Sandy

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
The term backflush means to run the water backwards through the filter. If the filter is an upflow filter then opening a bottom drain on it will cause the water to move backwards. That could be called back flushing and I have used it. A more aggressive method is to redirect the water from the pump so as to cause the water to move backwards. That can be done with some pipe and ball valves.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I should add that some media cleans better with back flushing then others. Bioballs, cut up PVC pipe, and plastic snow fence should back flush well. Quilt batting no. I am unsure about scrubbies and floor buffer pads, thinking they are too closed to back flush great but do to some degree.

Ask a Question