Backyard pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
So just 1" thick, that is cool. I imagine there would be a bit of seepage, but you are painting it so there ya go, perfect system lol. I am trying to figure out how thick I will need to make the ferro-cement on my 10'x10'x10' and be able to leave it raw with minimal seepage. Maybe If I started with Portland cement and went coarser on the inner layer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So just 1" thick, that is cool. I imagine there would be a bit of seepage, but you are painting it so there ya go, perfect system lol. I am trying to figure out how thick I will need to make the ferro-cement on my 10'x10'x10' and be able to leave it raw with minimal seepage. Maybe If I started with Portland cement and went coarser on the inner layer.
No concrete will not leak. My first pond I found a sealer that I spread on, same color as cement. Even my new pond with plastic liner. You can get pool paint in any color.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
no just watch and enjoy
I've had a lot of people ask me if I was going to eat my fish, c'mon those are my guys! But if I had a pond big as yours I might make it a goal to raise a meal, just don't put names on them;).

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Given the brittle nature of stucco and the weight of the water that it will support, aren't you concerned about cracks and leaks developing? Especially when the underlying plastic does not have sealed seams.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm using chicken wire for strength.

Yes, but you stated that it is only 1" thick. You will have an enormous weight of water. The least bit of settling of the supporting soil will certainly set the stage for cracking. In a swimming pool, the typical wall thickness is 8" and the floor is 6" all reinforced with rebar. You will have no where near this level of structural integrity.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Settling won't happen much, Arizona's ground is pretty hard plus I gave it 6 months to settle. Sanded stucco is first coat. Non sanded morter is finish coat, so maybe two inches will be the norm.
Time will tell, were gonna fill it and see how fast the water drops.
It will be well fed on a daily basis.

Ask a Question