Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Looks to be really nice.
Looking at your proposed equipment list, I would, however, recommend a couple of changes--
The Laguna 4280 Max-Flo may not be large enough for the proposed pond capacity. Ideally, a flow rate of 1.5 - 2 times the total pond capacity is desired. At only 3 feet of head, the Laguna is already under the proposed capacity of the pond. See chart- http://www.azponds.com/laguna_maxflo_chart.htm

Although the Easy Pro small skimmer will be large enough for this pond the Easy Pro small waterfall filter will not be. Consider utilizing the next larger size.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This pump capacity thing is where I see really conflicting advice. Most everything I've seen suggests half to 1 times the full volume of the pond per hour. But I see you constantly recommend twice. Can you explain? Is this a difference between a heavily loaded koi pond and a lightly to moderately loaded water garden?

Thanks!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This pump capacity thing is where I see really conflicting advice. Most everything I've seen suggests half to 1 times the full volume of the pond per hour. But I see you constantly recommend twice. Can you explain? Is this a difference between a heavily loaded koi pond and a lightly to moderately loaded water garden?

Thanks!
Well, let's just look at the basics for a moment. The purpose of biofiltration is to insure that adequate surface area is available to support the nitrifying bacteria population level needed to oxidize the Ammonia (and subsequent Nitrite) produced by the fish and other processes in a pond.
The purpose of water circulation (flow rate) is to insure that the Ammonia laden water is promptly removed from the immediate vicinity of the fish. Transport to a biofilter is an added benefit. It only stands to reason that the faster that this ammonia-laced water can be moved the shorter the duration that a fish will be exposed. Also the faster that this water can be transported to an area of bio-conversion, whether submerged surfaces or bio-filter, the faster the water can be purged of Ammonia and Nitrite. Flow rates higher than 2 times capacity would likely create too much constant flow stressing the fish.
Why set up a system with just enough flow rate and filtration when for a few dollars more you can CYA and have peace of mind?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looking more carefully at both filter falls, the small is probably undersized in terms of bio capacity as well. The medium is bigger than I want (3' on a side). But something like the Atlantic BF2600 is probably a nice happy medium.

I'm attracted to the Laguna pumps because of the efficiency and the 4280 is the largest they offer. Care to suggest an efficient submersible pump that puts out a higher flow?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any larger capacity pump will require more power to operate and will likely be less efficient. It is the 'Nature of the Beast'.
There is one option that would give you the flow rate needed and probably even save you money on the electric bill. If you can figure out the logistics, the use of two (2) pumps (Laguna 2900) would provide a considerable increase in total flow (see chart at link in prior post) and actually use less electricity than a single pump with the same total flow rate. The practice of using two (2) smaller pumps instead of one large one is a little known trick for saving electricity costs that the manufacturers don't tell you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
The two pump idea is interesting to me as I plan on pump purchase soon for my approx. 3k gallon pond. Perhaps having a uv of the return line off one of the pumps would be valuable as well? So two smaller pumps would save on electricity as well?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The two pump idea is interesting to me as I plan on pump purchase soon for my approx. 3k gallon pond. Perhaps having a uv of the return line off one of the pumps would be valuable as well? So two smaller pumps would save on electricity as well?
Depending on manufacturer and pump model, you can get the same flow rate with two (2) smaller pumps as with one (1) larger pump for the same or less electrical consumption. There is the additional advantage of built-in redundancy. If a pump fails, the second pump is still functioning to at least provide some circulation to your filter and pond. On my pond, I had a flow target flow rate of 10,000 gph. I divided this between a 7500 gph and a 2900 gph pump. The 7500 supplied the twin biofall filters and the stream and the 2900 supplied the wetlands filter. Each was located in separate skimmers. These were both direct drive solids handling pumps. Not necessarily the most efficient. The electical costs for both pumps was less than $50.00/month. The cost for one 10,000 gph pump would have been around $75.00/month.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Meyer, I think I'm going to go with either a 5000 or 6000 gph Tidal Wave3 pump which seems to draw a good balance between energy efficiency, ability to cope with head loss, and flow. I'll decide on the actual pump after the pond is built and filled the first time.

The only part I have in hand now is the waterfall filter (Atlantic BF2600). The rough excavation is scheduled for Saturday and then I expect to spend a week or two sculpting the hole and hill before lining it.

The planning/construction tab has been updated with a time-lapse video of the tree and stump removal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My default plan is to fill the pond once and let things circulate with a small (600 gph) pump for a few days to let any chemicals from the manufacturing and construction processes leach into the water. Then drain, fill again, and start the cycling process along with some carbon to absorb any remaining leaching chemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Depending on manufacturer and pump model, you can get the same flow rate with two (2) smaller pumps as with one (1) larger pump for the same or less electrical consumption. There is the additional advantage of built-in redundancy. If a pump fails, the second pump is still functioning to at least provide some circulation to your filter and pond.
Sissy uses this system to save on electricity and have backup.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True and plus I have a third small pump that only runs when the uv is on .The pump on the left side of my pond goes to the filter on the right side and the pump on the right side goes to the filter on the left side .Plus I can hang my pumps from a pipe at different levels .Right now my 2400 gph and 2900 gph are only using 55 watts and 75 watts each .They can use up to 75 watts and 100 watts but laguna pumps can run on less and the shorter the rise and the bigger the hose the less electric they run on .Shame there aerator does not use less but it is using 40 watts .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Based on your location and zone, is there any reason you're not going down 3-1/2 to 4 feet? Are you incorporating a main drain? Highly suggest both of the above. I have a bio-filter and large Savio Skimmer with main drain. Can't stress enough the importance of a main drain and skimmer assuming this isn't a bog setup. If this is a dedicated koi pond?, and cost isn't a problem, these components are a must which keeps maintenance quite low. A UV in my opinion is also a must....

I've been using this on my 4th season since I rebuilt my pond. An awesome bio-filter backed up by great customer service... but, it is costly .... With 2000 gal pond, I'm using this one.

http://www.aquabead.com/AlphaONE-250-Filter/AlphaONE-250-Filter-from-GCTek-p-43.html

I made a few modifications which if asked, I'm sure Gary could accommodate you. Below the blower, I added a Jandy valve. Also have a pre-filter. These are just suggestions from own experience.

Ask a Question