bad bad night

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Sep 14, 2011.

1. addy1

Becky Administrator

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about that! I hope you recover quickly from the stings - and I hope your fishes recover from the attack!

Becky, Sep 14, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

HARO Pondcrastinator

Sorry to hear about your harrowing ordeal, Addy. You seem to have gotten off relatively easy with the yellowjackets; my dad had two run-ins with them...two ambulance rides to the hospital...two days in hospital each time. The first time, a doctor counted 125 stings before giving up! Get better soon. John

HARO, Sep 14, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

toadfarm

Quite an exciting story. Glad you and the fish are ok and recovering.

Is this your first heron issue?

toadfarm, Sep 14, 2011
  4. addy1

sissy sissy

hope maybe the scare will keep him away long enough to protect your pond .I guess though birds have short memories .Have you tried what jw did a radio set on a sensor to go off ,maybe if it is load enough it may scare him away .May neighbor ha a screech alarm and it has a sensor .It is supposed to be for a door area and has a sensor ,he has it set up by the driveway area .Scares the crap out of a person when your outside and it goes off .I think he said it came from some kind of haloween decoration he added speakers to.He has it under the carport .I can here it all the way up at my house and it even scares the birds off up here

sissy, Sep 14, 2011
  5. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Well it sounds like he hasn't been back today addy. Maybe he was really scared by the shotgun blasts. Thing is he's not the only one around. Hope all you have done now will make it impossible for them to get in.

Sissy that would be funny to hear that screeching from your neighbors house all the time! Something like that might be a good idea. Does it only work during the day? Cuz at night the neighbors might have a cow!

j.w, Sep 14, 2011
  6. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

The pigs ate like normal just now, all at the surface of the pond again.

I was lucky John, ran for the house, all I saw were yellow jackets following me.... My arms hurt, but the benadryl seems to be working.
    I would be in the hospital too if stung that much.

We have had some small birds, a bittern came and left with no luck a few months ago and just recently. I though I saw a larger, but not this large heron two days ago. That made me run the fishing line. This is the first time I have seen the great blue heron.

It did act as if the fishing line would have stopped it, if strung closer together, in review of the dvr it walked up to the edge bumped the line, backed up tried another place. Where it went through the gap was larger. Looks like it stepped on the bog wall, I have loose rocks on the top, they are now in the pond. Think they gave way under the birds foot, made it do a header into the pond.

Sissy, the problem I have is the plants, they are always moving in the wind, so it would constantly be going off. We are going to fence the edges, more line across the top.

According to what I have read, they have a 7 foot wing span, no way it could fly in with the lines across the pond. It was having issues getting out because of the lines.

addy1, Sep 14, 2011
  7. addy1

blessedfamily

Wow Addy sorry to hear you got stung and hope you are getting better, so glad to hear the heron did not get any snacks though :)

blessedfamily, Sep 14, 2011
  8. addy1

At first we thought it had taken the large white butterfly rescue fish, it was always hanging out on the top of the water, a very visible fish. Didn't see it again until about an hour after the heron left, think it was in hiding under the hyacinths.

addy1, Sep 14, 2011
    blessedfamily likes this.
  9. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Those birds move in slow motion. The one that came to my pond moved so slow that I had time to hunt for my camera and get back to the window and take pics before he was able to sneak in between my fencing and get to the pond edge before I had it fixed tight. And they have the patience of Job. Beautiful birds. Love watching them, just not at my pond!

j.w, Sep 14, 2011
  10. addy1

sissy sissy

He has what is called a heat sensor on his and it only goes off when it sense's some heat and yeas she keeps it on all the time and it very seldom goes off but you know when it does .He had a large water rat from down by the creek that set it off a couple of times .I think he told me he got the sensor at radio shack ,I will have to ask him again .I guess just general movement does not set it off as she has shrubs nearby and a tree and they never set it off .You may be able to google it and see what you come up with

sissy, Sep 14, 2011
  11. addy1

whiskey Always trying to perfect something fishy

sorry to hear of your night of the bees, must of been awlful, hope your on the mend very soon, glad your fish are safe.......

whiskey, Sep 14, 2011
  12. addy1

Thanks wiskey, I react to the stings, not real bad, but I feel sick most of the next day. Slowly getting better.

Thanks sissy will check into it. No return visit today, think maybe we scared the sucker shooting and yelling. But still putting up chicken wire around the pond, at least it doesn't show up that bad.

addy1, Sep 14, 2011
  13. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Oh addy nice storm ya got going there in the camera window now. I see lightning and it's kinda windy. Wow lots of lightning coming in now!

j.w, Sep 15, 2011
  14. addy1

We are under severe tstorm warnings right now.......coming from the west.

addy1, Sep 15, 2011
  15. addy1

CountryEscape

Hey, Addy, didn't you say you needed rain? We did here in Illinois, too! Got some last night and today, I told it we had enough, move on over to PA for a while. LOL I think I got maybe an inch between last night and today, which is super! Been VERY dry here. Chilly tonight, supposed to dip down to the 40's. Hope you're ready for the cooler temps next!
    I took my mini water lettuce and few hyacinths that I had growing in the bog and put them in buckets in my garage, have a florescent light hooked up to be on 12 hours a day, try to see if I can keep them alive. Will move them into the basement when it gets cooler, just no time to do that right now. Getting ready for niece's wedding in San Diego! Woohoo!

CountryEscape, Sep 15, 2011
  16. addy1

Have a great wedding!, well enjoy the wedding I should say. We needed the rain all summer. Finally have growing green grass..........lol
    I never mind the rain. We have more coming today with this cold front that is coming from you! They are saying 41 tonight, will see what happens to the hyacinths, they are blooming great right now, big and green........ this cold snap may shut them down.

addy1, Sep 15, 2011
  17. addy1

mrsclem mrsclem

Hey Addy- Sorry to hear about your problems. Yellow jackets NOT GOOD! Ours have gone now that we have had over 30" of rain due to Irene, Lee & Katia. Trying to get the rebuild done on our original pond but it's too much like the old movie McClintock with the mud fight.

mrsclem, Sep 15, 2011
  18. addy1

i was wondering how you have fared with all of the rain. We got a total of 7 inches with all the storms, just on the outer edge of all of them.

I went over to where I got stung, don't see the suckers flying in and out, so not sure where the nest is. do know what I was doing so we may just spray the poop out of the area. I need to be able to work on my veg garden and they are right there.

Arms still swollen, hurt and itch..........hate those things.

addy1, Sep 15, 2011
  19. addy1

he's back! The pond is totally fenced now. I am going to watch the next time it shows to see if it can find a way in. The slow speed it walks that may take an hour............lol

DSC02344.JPG

The bird needs its feet on something solid to take off, you can see it squatting for take off here, it spotted me looking out the window at it.

DSC02336.JPG

what a wing span

DSC02349.JPG

DSC02331.JPG

DSC02333.JPG

Just a spot in the sky now

DSC02328.JPG

addy1, Sep 15, 2011
  20. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

They are easily spooked and if they even see a curtain move or you standing in the window they quickly take off. Especially since he's been there and heard the shotguns and the yelling now he will be really unsure of your pond. He will be back tho it sounds like. Gosh I hope he can't get in!

j.w, Sep 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question