bad bad night

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
sorry to hear of your night of the bees, must of been awlful, hope your on the mend very soon, glad your fish are safe.......

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks wiskey, I react to the stings, not real bad, but I feel sick most of the next day. Slowly getting better.

He has what is called a heat sensor on his and it only goes off when it sense's some heat and yeas she keeps it on all the time and it very seldom goes off but you know when it does .He had a large water rat from down by the creek that set it off a couple of times .I think he told me he got the sensor at radio shack ,I will have to ask him again .I guess just general movement does not set it off as she has shrubs nearby and a tree and they never set it off .You may be able to google it and see what you come up with

Thanks sissy will check into it. No return visit today, think maybe we scared the sucker shooting and yelling. But still putting up chicken wire around the pond, at least it doesn't show up that bad.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh addy nice storm ya got going there in the camera window now. I see lightning and it's kinda windy. Wow lots of lightning coming in now!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are under severe tstorm warnings right now.......coming from the west.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hey, Addy, didn't you say you needed rain? We did here in Illinois, too! Got some last night and today, I told it we had enough, move on over to PA for a while. LOL I think I got maybe an inch between last night and today, which is super! Been VERY dry here. Chilly tonight, supposed to dip down to the 40's. Hope you're ready for the cooler temps next!
I took my mini water lettuce and few hyacinths that I had growing in the bog and put them in buckets in my garage, have a florescent light hooked up to be on 12 hours a day, try to see if I can keep them alive. Will move them into the basement when it gets cooler, just no time to do that right now. Getting ready for niece's wedding in San Diego! Woohoo!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have a great wedding!, well enjoy the wedding I should say. We needed the rain all summer. Finally have growing green grass..........lol
I never mind the rain. We have more coming today with this cold front that is coming from you! They are saying 41 tonight, will see what happens to the hyacinths, they are blooming great right now, big and green........ this cold snap may shut them down.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hey Addy- Sorry to hear about your problems. Yellow jackets NOT GOOD! Ours have gone now that we have had over 30" of rain due to Irene, Lee & Katia. Trying to get the rebuild done on our original pond but it's too much like the old movie McClintock with the mud fight.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i was wondering how you have fared with all of the rain. We got a total of 7 inches with all the storms, just on the outer edge of all of them.

I went over to where I got stung, don't see the suckers flying in and out, so not sure where the nest is. do know what I was doing so we may just spray the poop out of the area. I need to be able to work on my veg garden and they are right there.

Arms still swollen, hurt and itch..........hate those things.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
he's back! The pond is totally fenced now. I am going to watch the next time it shows to see if it can find a way in. The slow speed it walks that may take an hour............lol

DSC02344.JPG

The bird needs its feet on something solid to take off, you can see it squatting for take off here, it spotted me looking out the window at it.

DSC02336.JPG

what a wing span

DSC02349.JPG

DSC02331.JPG

DSC02333.JPG

Just a spot in the sky now

DSC02328.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They are easily spooked and if they even see a curtain move or you standing in the window they quickly take off. Especially since he's been there and heard the shotguns and the yelling now he will be really unsure of your pond. He will be back tho it sounds like. Gosh I hope he can't get in!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah I need to watch and see if it has success

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thought I'd resurrect this thread, since it started off with yellowjackets 'way back when. A few days ago I found a paper nest under a step inside our attached garage. I had been hearing a muted murmur somewhere in that area for about a week, and finally located it. After several coats of foaming wasp spray I took a shop-vac and started to clear away bits of nest and all kinds of dead or disoriented yellowjackets. Apparently one of them was still allright; she made a bee-line for the hand with the flashlight and caught me at the base of thr little finger. My hand looks rather inflated still, and I sort of lost interest in them, merely spraying the area once or twice a day. Today I found the original entrance to the nest... they came through a knot-hole in the cedar siding, chewed through a layer of Ten-test, a double thickness of 2x12 spruce supporting a door, and then ate away the drywall to gain access to the garage! I'll have to re-build part of that wall, but I think I'll wait until they're all frozen! Hard to believe the damage these little buggers can do. John :yikesu:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Amazing what such tiny beasts can accomplish. Too bad us humans can't band together like that and get some things done around this world of ours! Sorry you got stung John and hope you get the area fixed soon so no more can get in to winter over in there. I think now is when the queens are looking for a place to hold over so they can start again in the Spring. We find them in our wood that we bring in for the winter to burn in our wood stove. Sometimes in the middle of winter every now and then one will awaken in the wood and fly around the house.........yikes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, John, I had never heard of yellow jackets doing that kind of damage to solid wood! Amazing, but not good! I've heard that bees and hornets need to be sprayed directly on the insect or the spray does not work. I don't think they have a fogger that works for them, but if they do, then that might work. I would NOT be waiting for them to go dormant in the wintertime. As JW said, they will get into your house since they have already gotten through a whole wall, and cause problems this winter inside, I would fear. If you can find the nest, then get some high powered hornet and wasp spray and spray them directly. The reason you found some that were lethargic is because they got wounded, but not killed, and you want them DEAD.
Addy, you have totally blown my theory that once a heron comes and gets caught in the fishing line or whatever you have up, they will not return. I guess this could be another heron, but seems coincidental that it came back within a day or two. Darn! I still don't have anything up to keep them away. My only defense is my farm pond, which is farther from the house and noise, and has LOTS of shallow water for them to fish in. I'm hoping they will keep to that instead of coming to fish out my beauties.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, John, I had never heard of yellow jackets doing that kind of damage to solid wood! Amazing, but not good! I've heard that bees and hornets need to be sprayed directly on the insect or the spray does not work. I don't think they have a fogger that works for them, but if they do, then that might work. I would NOT be waiting for them to go dormant in the wintertime. As JW said, they will get into your house since they have already gotten through a whole wall, and cause problems this winter inside, I would fear. If you can find the nest, then get some high powered hornet and wasp spray and spray them directly. The reason you found some that were lethargic is because they got wounded, but not killed, and you want them DEAD.
Addy, you have totally blown my theory that once a heron comes and gets caught in the fishing line or whatever you have up, they will not return. I guess this could be another heron, but seems coincidental that it came back within a day or two. Darn! I still don't have anything up to keep them away. My only defense is my farm pond, which is farther from the house and noise, and has LOTS of shallow water for them to fish in. I'm hoping they will keep to that instead of coming to fish out my beauties.

Well at this point, with the chicken wire, which is not that easy to see unless you are right at the pond, with the fishin line over the pond. I think we are fine. The floating alligator head I think has done the final job. It spent over an hour in the gardens eating crickets, it can have all of them that it wants. The one time it went near the pond, it alerted when it saw the floating head with the sparkly eyes, full upright stance perfectly still. Would not get closer than 6 feet to that end of the pond. it did go up into the bog right after that, but walked rapidly down the middle of the bog, with just glances at the pond. Not the normal investigation it has been doing.

So I think the head has scared it............only some more trips by the bird will tell the tale.

Ask a Question