bad bad night

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Sep 14, 2011.

1. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Yeah I need to watch and see if it has success

addy1, Sep 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

HARO Pondcrastinator

Thought I'd resurrect this thread, since it started off with yellowjackets 'way back when. A few days ago I found a paper nest under a step inside our attached garage. I had been hearing a muted murmur somewhere in that area for about a week, and finally located it. After several coats of foaming wasp spray I took a shop-vac and started to clear away bits of nest and all kinds of dead or disoriented yellowjackets. Apparently one of them was still allright; she made a bee-line for the hand with the flashlight and caught me at the base of thr little finger. My hand looks rather inflated still, and I sort of lost interest in them, merely spraying the area once or twice a day. Today I found the original entrance to the nest... they came through a knot-hole in the cedar siding, chewed through a layer of Ten-test, a double thickness of 2x12 spruce supporting a door, and then ate away the drywall to gain access to the garage! I'll have to re-build part of that wall, but I think I'll wait until they're all frozen! Hard to believe the damage these little buggers can do. John :yikesu:

HARO, Sep 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Amazing what such tiny beasts can accomplish. Too bad us humans can't band together like that and get some things done around this world of ours! Sorry you got stung John and hope you get the area fixed soon so no more can get in to winter over in there. I think now is when the queens are looking for a place to hold over so they can start again in the Spring. We find them in our wood that we bring in for the winter to burn in our wood stove. Sometimes in the middle of winter every now and then one will awaken in the wood and fly around the house.........yikes!

j.w, Sep 22, 2011
  4. addy1

CountryEscape

Wow, John, I had never heard of yellow jackets doing that kind of damage to solid wood! Amazing, but not good! I've heard that bees and hornets need to be sprayed directly on the insect or the spray does not work. I don't think they have a fogger that works for them, but if they do, then that might work. I would NOT be waiting for them to go dormant in the wintertime. As JW said, they will get into your house since they have already gotten through a whole wall, and cause problems this winter inside, I would fear. If you can find the nest, then get some high powered hornet and wasp spray and spray them directly. The reason you found some that were lethargic is because they got wounded, but not killed, and you want them DEAD.
    Addy, you have totally blown my theory that once a heron comes and gets caught in the fishing line or whatever you have up, they will not return. I guess this could be another heron, but seems coincidental that it came back within a day or two. Darn! I still don't have anything up to keep them away. My only defense is my farm pond, which is farther from the house and noise, and has LOTS of shallow water for them to fish in. I'm hoping they will keep to that instead of coming to fish out my beauties.

CountryEscape, Sep 25, 2011
  5. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Well at this point, with the chicken wire, which is not that easy to see unless you are right at the pond, with the fishin line over the pond. I think we are fine. The floating alligator head I think has done the final job. It spent over an hour in the gardens eating crickets, it can have all of them that it wants. The one time it went near the pond, it alerted when it saw the floating head with the sparkly eyes, full upright stance perfectly still. Would not get closer than 6 feet to that end of the pond. it did go up into the bog right after that, but walked rapidly down the middle of the bog, with just glances at the pond. Not the normal investigation it has been doing.

So I think the head has scared it............only some more trips by the bird will tell the tale.

addy1, Sep 25, 2011
  6. addy1

baeya

Laughing at the thought of that bird 'running' across the bog glancing back at the alligator..........

baeya, Sep 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question