addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have chipmunks, moles, mice etc, they have yet to mess with the pond. I put carpet padding under the liner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wet the walls and used gloves to spread it on the walls .I made it into a thick paste with water so the spores could grow faster .It tells you spores grow faster with wet ground .I have not seen a mole tunnel around there yet .I used to see them around the area of the pond but never thought they would be a problem and I lost that one .I put small holes all over around that area outside the pond also .I had a problem with mice even chewing the edgeas of my pond liner before ,at least I thought it was mice .Country living sucks sometimes .;)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Bagsmom, if I've told you once, I've told you thirty-five billions times. Don't exaggerate!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We have chipmunks and I'm sure other little critters, but none that are a huge problem. No mole tunnels. I might live to regret it, but I think I am going to just put down the underlayment and go for it.
But probably not today. I had Chinese food last night and my stomach does not feel that happy. (Dang it. I was looking forward to my leftover mu shu for lunch!)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have lived and learned with my pond if it can happen it will happen to me .Murphy's Law .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol I built mine with out thinking about anything but the hole and how deep. So far so good. The heron has been the only problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am getting very close to setting the skimmer and putting in the liner. One dilemma. My water level as it is right now will be a little low on my edge stones -- in other words, I probably should have taken that first shelf for coping downs down about 2 inches lower than it is. I'm trying to decide what would be better: Get back in and carve the shelf down lower (which will be kind of hard. The clay is just like rock. It's all level now, so taking it down more will mean I have to do the whole "make it level" thing again) -- OR -- berm up higher around the edge and tamp it down good. This would probably be a little easier.
Is one solution better than another?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Pulling out my best Scarlett O'Hara impersonation here:

As God is my witness, I will not re-sculpt my pond excavation again! (After today.)

I decided to compromise on what to do about the depth of the first shelf. I'm compromising and taking it just a little lower, then berming up to make up the difference. This weekend, hubby will help me with gluing in the flexible PVC pipe to the skimmer. And hopefully liner!!!!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Fudge it is always easier and looks just as good after you take a look at .I am always amazed at a little mistake always turns out the nicest mistake ever .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Fudge it is always easier and looks just as good after you take a look at .I am always amazed at a little mistake always turns out the nicest mistake ever .
I hope that's true! I'm sure I will have a lot of mistakes -- so maybe that means it will look great! LOL

Ask a Question