sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
barrels are confusing ,I find stock tanks are much simpler and if mine leaks it has a liner around it that goes right back into the pond .easier to hide also

Attachments

• pond 2013 012.JPG
    pond 2013 012.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 386
  • pond 2013 038.JPG
    pond 2013 038.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 330
  • pond 2013 042.JPG
    pond 2013 042.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 345
  • pond 2013 009.JPG
    pond 2013 009.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 309
  • pond 2013 020.JPG
    pond 2013 020.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 361
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This is a great thread! Has me thinking. I have a whiskey barrel not in use for anything and and extra hose from my pump running straight to the falls. I think I could hook it up to a barrel filter instead!

I am thinking a water drum that would fit inside the barrel using the barrel as only the disguise for the actual filter inside. Then a hose pumping in through the bottom with a spot to unhook the hose just prior to a knife valve. That way I could close the valve, unhook the hose and drain the barrel through the same hole when I need to flush it. Then some sort of support on the inside to hold layers of media, like industrial floor scrubbing pads in various coarseness. Top it off with some K1 media. I can add an air stone in the bottom to oxygenate the water, then a hose from the top back to the waterfall!

Had never even considered this before and seems like it would be a great filter addition!

Thanks!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
barrels are confusing ,I find stock tanks are much simpler and if mine leaks it has a liner around it that goes right back into the pond .easier to hide also
People! She already said she has a whiskey barrel and wants to use it! Let's just give her advice on what she wants instead of everyone suggesting something else!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
we did but because we have no pics to go on we did the best we could .We have no clue how it is set up or how it is working or where it is .A wooden barrel is hard to adapt to a filter and she was asking about lava rock and figure I would give her an easier option than the barrel and maybe the only option since it is not working right .We have no clue if it is a half barrel and if it is leaking from an adapter or the barrel itself .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Can't she just put a few bricks or rocks in the bottom of the barrel and then a grate on top of that and then maybe a bunch of plastic media items,water bottle caps, plastic curlers or a bag of scrubbies, lava rock or whatever and another grate on top of those to hold them in and then stick plants through the grate and watch them grow and suck up nutrients? You could have either upflow or downflow water coming in and out the lip of the barrel. I haven't done this yet but am thinking about it. Any problems foreseen w/ this plan?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
She said it is leaking also after it was moved and not sure where it is leaking from .Lighter material may work but have no real clue about the set up .Confusing when it is a wooden barrel how you would clean it ,only way would be what pecan said .

Reaction score
I did not read all of this but you will need to use some sort of liner to waterproof the container. I got a perfect one from a place called Wedels near Kalamazoo MI. I would not use lava rocks. I would use gravel instead. I run my hose up over the top and then down into the bottom so the water flows up through the rocks. I put plants in the top.

Reaction score
Found these ideas on the web while looking for something else:
View attachment 67516 View attachment 67517
View attachment 67518

You might find this humorous.

The photo of the "guy" submerged in the barrel? That is me. When I first started on my cabin, I had no cabin, but I had a well and a barrel. Therefore, when it was very hot and I needed to take a "bath" I had a barrel filled that sat in the sun to warm the water and I put my cutoff hean shorts on and jumped in just like the guy (statue) in the pix and took a cooling bath! Actually a pretty nice bath tub, especially when it is 95-105 F outside.

Gordy

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
People, let's settle down here. We've got catfish talking about his near naked expose in a whiskey barrel and all sorts of other stuff going on. Annette says she's got a whiskey barrel with a liner lip (sissy, don't know where you got that she said it was leaking). So it would be exactly like j.w. has got in her 3rd pic above.

Annette, you can definitely make a lava rock filter out of it in 1-2 steps if that's what you want. First, I have to ask, do you know what pump you've got and where is the pump pumping out to right now?

Reaction score
You really are a nut.................Catfishnut and not just for catfish

Why, thank you very much J. W.!

There's another redneck feather to add to my Hank Williams Junior Stetson cowboy hat!

Yep, I wear my cowboy boots, with knee-high socks, cutoff 1970's jeans shorts, my aged "America" (the 70's band) T-shirt from a concert they held in Anaheim, CA in circa 1971/72 and my grey Stetson cowboy hat with a Hank Williams Jr pin in the front and several bottle rocket burns and holes in the sides and one bullet hole through the front. I smoke a cigar and drink a Busch beer or a jigger of jack.

I have also been seen sporting red converse tennis shoes, white pants, a red pullover shirt and a white sailor's cap. I dressed like that so that the neighbor lady would bake me coconut cream pies, which she did! And they were delicious! I called her Mary Ann, but her real name was Rhonda and she helped me get her (Mary Ann) out of my heart. Well, that didn't really work, I still LOVE Mary Ann! (aka Dawn Wells).

How's that for a picture of me? Hee hee! Truly..... I really do dress like this. Probably why I am now single again.

Gordy (Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you just are one)

:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've never met a nut I didn't like

Back to the filter..............someone posted this on the net that all they did was put lava rock in the barrel. I would think you would need to put a tube coming up the center pumping water from the pond and back out the top.

They wrote:
Fill a barrel with lava rock and use that as your filter for your pond. Your water will stay cleaner longer.
Pondfilter.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you look at her second post she said it is puddling by it after her daughter messed with the liner .I can read .

Ask a Question