Barrel filter help

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
She said it is leaking also after it was moved and not sure where it is leaking from .
She hasn't made the filter yet, that's why she's here. It's the pond which is leaking, not the filter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here is a drawing that someone made for me when I was doing mine.

This was mine, we drilled a hole and put a black hose for the water to come out. On the bottom side, we drilled another hole and put a bulkhead in and sealed it with fish safe silicone for the water to come in from the pond and through the lava rock and gravel. We made a brace out of pvc pipes about 4-5 inches tall to hold a piece of egg crate for the lava rock to sit on. On the other bottom side, we had another bulkhead with a shut off valve on it to backflush it. It worked great.

Reaction score
I was going to do a whiskey barrel filter but the price of the actual barrels themselves stopped me. I instead went with a rain barrel. My first layer is lava rock. I put them in 5 pound bags for easier removal. Then on top of that, I have scrubbing pads. Then I have 2 layer pink and white filters. Then I have 2 king size quilt batting packages (unwrapped) crammed in the barrel. It works pretty well.

Reaction score
Can't she just put a few bricks or rocks in the bottom of the barrel and then a grate on top of that and then maybe a bunch of plastic media items,water bottle caps, plastic curlers or a bag of scrubbies, lava rock or whatever and another grate on top of those to hold them in and then stick plants through the grate and watch them grow and suck up nutrients? You could have either upflow or downflow water coming in and out the lip of the barrel. I haven't done this yet but am thinking about it. Any problems foreseen w/ this plan?
wondering the same thing. Can I put a grate or something on top of my bags of media and stick bare root plants in there, bog type plants,? I read someone putting impatiens in?

Or is there supposed to be good flow on top of media bags? I'm doing bio balls, scrubbies and some squiggly plastic strips. Saving up bottle caps!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I saved a bunch of the bottle caps up and I did not put a grate on the bottom of this waterfall filter. The water comes in from the bottom side and swirls around upward and out the falls. I did shove a smaller tube in where the water comes in on the side bottom cuz I was afraid when I stopped the flow of the filter the caps would get sucked in there and plug up my tubing and that would not be good. So I just threw all of them in there and made a cover ring out of black tubing and covered it w/ screen door fiberglass material fitted tight on top of the filter to keep the caps from floating out in the pond over the falls. I figure the caps will get covered w/ the good bacteria and that's good enough. Anybody got anything to say about this idea. I also have a big prefilter hooked to my pump going to the falls. I was thinking about putting a planting of some sort on top but I do know the roots will grow wild through that screen and might create a real mess,not sure about doing this. Then I thought maybe I could just set a pot on top of the screen w/ just a hole so the plant could have water and not so many roots could get through and cause problems. Might just do the plant on the screen tho as I could always just chop off the roots some if they grow too big. With this setup I don't see any reason that I would ever have to clean out anything cuz nothing is going to stick in that filter...................well wait now, that screen might get all gunked up w/ stuff and need to be rinsed off. This is a trial plan so I'll let ya know how this goes

Ask a Question