Basics of a Bottom Drain

Reaction score
As I read though the different posts, I understand that the more rocks you place in the bottom of the pond the more it is a pain in the rear to clean, but at the same time ads esthetic benifits as well as some bacteria benifits.

If you placed rocks and gravel in the bottom of the pond and added a bottom drain, would this give you the best of both worlds, per se? In other words, buy placing the bottom drain the pond that included many rocks on the bottom ... would you be minimizing maintenance by having generally cleaner pond?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
No rocks in the deepest part. If you want rocks do some side areas that are abuot 12-16" deep. The fish will go there to forrage. That way and you will keep the bottom/deep part clean.

I have rocks in a shallow bog that drains back into the pond after going through the filters. Good bacteria that is clean of most muck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you placed rocks and gravel in the bottom of the pond and added a bottom drain, would this give you the best of both worlds, per se?
No it wouldn't. The debris in the gravel would reach the bottom drain but maybe the gravel would,
IMHO Gravel or rocks give the Aeromonas and Pseudomonas to thrive.
That's why I have BD's and UV lights.
Not a UV that the right size for my pond but double what is needed for the pond.
HO UV's are great. That;s what I'll have on my new pond. The UV's won't bother the good bacteria because it's in your filters and the green carpet that grows on the sides of your pond.

malatu said:
As I read though the different posts, I understand that the more rocks you place in the bottom of the pond the more it is a pain in the rear to clean, but at the same time ads esthetic benifits as well as some bacteria benifits.

If you placed rocks and gravel in the bottom of the pond and added a bottom drain, would this give you the best of both worlds, per se? In other words, buy placing the bottom drain the pond that included many rocks on the bottom ... would you be minimizing maintenance by having generally cleaner pond?

Reaction score
DoDad is right. No rocks! If you have a a large pond, a BD is warranted, in my opinion. And yes, an aerated ones is best because it pushes crud to the drain.

You can also mod a retro drain to have an aerator on top. I did it.

Reaction score
I can show you dozens of threads on this site (and others) that has the pump doing something funky and draining the pond. Does that mean we shouldn't use pumps? I think you will see far more pump mishaps than BD issues by miles.

Again, not saying that a BD is for everyone. We all have a right to plumb our ponds the way we see fit, but it's also not helpful to scare folks out of a bottom drain. I would not have a pond without one as it just makes maintenance easier for me.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Koikeepr I am not trying to scare anyone away from anything. I was just letting them know what could happen. And yes your pump could malfunction and that would be bad. But if that pump malfunctions for me but yours was fine then I am wrong for mentioning a potential problem? I am all for bottom drains. I am not for cutting my $300 liner to put one in that way. Did you not read the rest of my post? I have a bottom drain system that works for me and I didn't have to cut my liner. I may not have the experience that you have in the hobby but I have spent the last 3+ years fine tuning what I know and am learning something everyday.

Have I just rubbed you the wrong way somehow? My appoligies if I did.

Reaction score
Koidaddy, don't read any tone into my post. I am in no way rubbed the wrong way, and we are both doing a very good job of showing two different sides of the coin--which is how folks learn on this forum. It's important for you to continue to show your perspective, and for others to do the same--and oftentimes, we will not agree. Which, truly, is the beauty of GPF.

You need to continue to post your opinions, and don't be worried if someone is countering them. It would be great if we didn't scare people, however, out of a potentially good solution for them--like saying all hole through the liner BD's may leak.

I'm sending you a big electronic hug koidaddy, to let you know that i love you. :surfing:

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
It all good koikeepr.

This whole internet communication thing is fairly new to me and I guess I was reading more into your post then you were trying to relay. There is so much to learn about the hobby and I just wanted to share some things thatmay fail if not done properly. My intent was not to scare anybody away.

And just to clear it up, I never said they all leak. I said they are notorius for leaks.
But in reality if you cut your liner for a BD it could leak if not done properly.

With that said. I will always use a bottom type drain as this is the best way to get the solids from the bottom of the pond.

When I first got into the hobby I broke cardinal rule #1. Dont dig a hole and then figure out what to do. You need to reasearch it for at least a year to avoid the mistakes I made.
My pond is still a work in progress as I try to fine tune everything for its and my needs.

And please just take what I mention as my experience and not the golden rule. The last thing I want to do is mess up somebodies system.

Big hug back at yah koikeepr and looking forward to gaining even my knowledge as time goes on here at GPF! :surfing:

Reaction score
I agree 100%! Any item in your pond that is not installed properly or hasn't been well sealed with plenty of goop has the possibility to fail as I said earlier.

Waterfalls, BD's, piping, pumps, liner, on and on. If you think about it, every single aspect of our ponds has the potential to give us grief. And that's not even accounting for the illnesses in the fish, predators and water quality. It's a wonder any of us sticks with this crazy hobby--but we are obviously passionate about our fish.

I was showing a neighbor my current pond build (or "swimming pool" as she called it. LOL) the other day, and she couldn't believe I was doing all this for fish. She actually said it just like that--"you are building this huge thing for a few fish?" I don't disagree that it must seem like a head-scratcher for folks that are not into the hobby.

We will learn together koidaddy. I by no means know it all about ponds (far from it), and am happy to continue to be learning with new little tidbits I get here on the forum. There's always someone giving me a new idea. But you are right in that building a pond (or even retrofiting an old one) takes lots of research. It really isn't a matter of sticking a shovel in the ground, as you said. That being said, lots of us have learned by trial and error with our ponds and there is something to be said for that. Sometimes, you can research something to death and you'll still have hiccups. C'est la vie!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
10-4 bud. I have a friend like that. Smartest guy I know as far as college degrees but couldn't gat past the paralysis by analysis stage..........on anything.

My wifes work friends think im crazy with all my fish. What do you expect when your last name is Karp. LOL

Be cool and thanks for clearing things up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know what brand of BD your trying to install but it should be easy to fix.
Go to Lowe's and buy a tube of PL Polyurethane Roofing and Flashing sealant.
Your liner should be sandwiched between the bottom drain ad the top ring. If you have all ready tightened the screws loosen them so you can get the tip of the PL on the liner. Lift your liner a bit and put a bead of PL around the top of the BD, push the liner down so you can get a bead of PL on the liner next to the ring.
Tighten the screws but not so tight that you strip them.
Fill your pond and enjoy.

Ask a Question