Basics of a Bottom Drain

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Thanks koikeepr. I really have learnd a bunch while on here and will be redoing my whole system in the next year(moving). It will be fun to share the experience from start to finish with everyone. I am thinking of 3' deep with 2' walls above ground, total 5'. Im sure ill have some questions.

Sorry about the hijack.

It will have a bottom drain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can't wait.
koidaddy said:
Thanks koikeepr. I really have learnd a bunch while on here and will be redoing my whole system in the next year(moving). It will be fun to share the experience from start to finish with everyone. I am thinking of 3' deep with 2' walls above ground, total 5'. Im sure ill have some questions.

Sorry about the hijack.

It will have a bottom drain.

Reaction score
Another dumb question..... can I assume with an aerated bottom drain you'll always have air bubble coming up from it? Are these bubble visually distracting? Do the bubbles make a lot of noise?

Reaction score
LOL! Yes, that's what "aeration" means. You'll have a bazzillion air bubbles coming from it. When you're viewing the fish you could certainly turn the air down if you happen to find it distracting, as you say. I don't really hear a noise per se, but I guess you could say that there's a very mild bubbling sound.

It's good for the pond to have as much air as possible. I really don't find the aeration distracting whatsoever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 2 air pumps running 24/7/365. The bubbles in the pond you can't hear at least I can't. 1 pump is for pond air and one foe filtration. They are in my covered filter pit.
I can hear them when I get about 20' from them (just a hum) When I start my waterfall you can't hear them. I have the pond pump hooked to a remote which I can turn off and on from my gazebo that' about 10' from the pond and 20' from the pump.

Reaction score
Aeration BD 4 less?

I have been looking for a BD with aeration they are running over $200, is there any way to do it for less? Is there a DIY way?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I sell them.

gambitmac said:
And a website to get the above items would be?

Attachments

• 4inche bottom drain.jpg
    4inche bottom drain.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 260
  • edi_diff.jpg
    edi_diff.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 237
  • discdiffuser.jpg
    discdiffuser.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 266
  • matalaairdisc.jpg
    matalaairdisc.jpg