Best way to keep leaves out of the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I made a frame out of 3/4" pvc pipe. I hammer those fiberglass driveway stick markers into the ground and slip the ends of the pvc over them creating an upward bow in the pvc. I have two bows across the width and one long one down the middle for the length of the pond. The shorter pvc width pieces are connected to the long one by 4 way pvc pipe fittings.
It all gets put together next to the pond. I ty-wrap the nylon bird/pond netting to the pipes. We lift it over the pond and slip the ends of the pipes over the driveway markers. Then place rocks on top of the netting to keep it down.
I install this contraption in the Fall and leave it there until Spring.
I have all the parts numbered so it can be dismantled and reassembled next time without any guesswork.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
What do people use to attach the netting to the stakes to keep it suspended above the water?
I make a frame out of bamboo. (Unfortunately, we have invasive bamboo trying to take over the neighborhood -- but it comes in handy for garden projects.). I lash cross braces of bamboo to the top of upright stakes, then drape the net over it. I will take pictures and post them later...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
IMAG1637.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here is my net set-up. It's a little hard to see, but the poles are tall at the back of the pond and the net slopes down at a steep angle on the other side. The leaves mostly roll down to the low end, where we can easily blow them away.
IMG_6202.jpeg
IMG_6202.jpegIMG_6202.jpegIMG_6203.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6204.jpeg
    IMG_6204.jpeg
    396.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_6205.jpeg
    IMG_6205.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 182
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Elevated net with a slope on it so the leaves blow away in the direction of the prevaling wind PLUS a good skimmer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Roughly $20 in PVC pipes and fittings at Home Depot

Attachments

• 20191015_122525.jpg
    20191015_122525.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 20191015_122517.jpg
    20191015_122517.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 138

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
All the ideas above are great. Depends on how tall you need your net to be, but I have used the small decorative metal garden fences to raise my net and then I stake the net to the ground.

net placement.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Last year I had to free small birds on a daily basis that was caught in my net...for one I couldn’t get to in time and died :( I finally just kept it off and I was scooping leaves out everyday. MOST did not come from above but were blown in by the wind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Last year I didn't install my net due to a death of a close friend.
I regretted it because my pond was a mess. I netted tons of leaves from the bottom come springtime. I had also lost two big koi. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, I have a couple of thoughts on that. Maybe the leaves literally took up too much space or the decaying leaves had an ill affect on the water chemistry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Last year I didn't install my net due to a death of a close friend.
I regretted it because my pond was a mess. I netted tons of leaves from the bottom come springtime. I had also lost two big koi. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, I have a couple of thoughts on that. Maybe the leaves literally took up too much space or the decaying leaves had an ill affect on the water chemistry.
The decaying leaves use up oxygen in the water. The decaying process uses quite a bit of oxygen. Also the leaves of some plants have oils in them which are not good in excessive quantities in ponds.
Ray

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The decaying leaves use up oxygen in the water. The decaying process uses quite a bit of oxygen. Also the leaves of some plants have oils in them which are not good in excessive quantities in ponds.
Ray
Thanks for that information. I didn't know that about the decaying process.....good to know!

I always have my air stone running, but as I said, those koi I lost were quite large. Massive in fact. So there very well could have been a decrease in oxygen.
I now have two air stones running and my net has been up for a while. I had it up before the leaves began to fall.

So, to the poster that was hesitant on installing a net....maybe you should rethink that idea.

All the years I've had nets on my pond, I've only had to rescue one songbird. Maybe keep a few birdbaths around your pond to help the birds out. Hopefully the birdbaths will thaw out once in a while with some direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Thanks for that information. I didn't know that about the decaying process.....good to know!

I always have my air stone running, but as I said, those koi I lost were quite large. Massive in fact. So there very well could have been a decrease in oxygen.
I now have two air stones running and my net has been up for a while. I had it up before the leaves began to fall.

So, to the poster that was hesitant on installing a net....maybe you should rethink that idea.

All the years I've had nets on my pond, I've only had to rescue one songbird. Maybe keep a few birdbaths around your pond to help the birds out. Hopefully the birdbaths will thaw out once in a while with some direct sunlight.
Also worth noting that air gets into water through a variety of means. A waterfall is often better than an airstone for adding air as the surface area of air to water is enlarged a lot with a decent waterfall. So in winters areas where waterfalls stop due to climate the amount of air exchange drops vastly as soon as the waterfalls stop. I do think that netting is the best solution during autumn when most leaves are falling.

Ask a Question