Best way to keep leaves out of the pond?

Reaction score
Got a small to medium sized lined pond and the previous owner of my house planted a lilac tree behind the pond which overhangs it. It looks lovely and we don’t want to take it out but obviously the leaves drop straight into the pond at this time of year.

Should we fashion some sort of raised netting over the pond to catch them? Is that the most efficient way to do it? The frogs and birds both use the pond so can’t block that access but also don’t want it to look too terrible as it’s part of the view from our lounge. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
There are quite a few members here who use wide weave nets suspended above their ponds. This allows them to lift the net easily to work on the pond and allows birds etc., access to the pond.

I have a fine mesh net, but it makes me sad to see the birdies not being able to get to their beloved waterfall, once netted :(

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, anything big enough to let birds and frogs in and out will also allow leaves in.
If you aren't worried about leaves blowing in and just want to catch the ones that fall straight down, you can get netting they sell at garden centers to protect gardens from birds, and you can mount it up on poles of any height you want, so it's up off the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We have LOTS of leaves that fall in the pond right now. I do cover it with netting but make sure to keep the birdbaths full so the critters have water handy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just being honest you can keep some but never all of the leaves out of your pond if you have an overhanging tree my best suggestion is some netting smaller in diameter to the leaves that will be falling...my second suggestion is to install a skimmer if you don't have one already be prepared to clean your skimmer daily until all leaves have fallen off your tree and last but not least take the area around your pond to minimize leaf blow and that should prevent your pond leaf intake that's what it takes ... In fall if you have trees

Reaction score
Thanks all. Seems best method will be to make some sort of elevated netting to catch the worst of it then even though it won’t look pretty. I try and skim out when I can but it’s pretty rainy here currently so haven’t been getting in the garden at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Another thing I do that seems to work well: I build an elevated frame on the far side of the pond, using 6 foot tomato stakes for the vertical upright supports. I use thin bamboo for the horizontal braces. This way, the net is high on one side and goes down at a steep angle on the other. The falling leaves just tumble and blow down to the ground on the low side of the net. This is where I have the stone "beach." From this point, it is pretty easy to gently blow the leaves away.

Reaction score
I just stake the net to the ground. In a day or two, it sinks into the water. When the leaves fall into the net I use the hand skimmer to take them out. I also leave the regular skimmer on for as long as possible. Try to get them out as soon as possible so you don't have a bigger mess in the spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
One word answer..... Net.

In my old pond, i had to put netting and later install a skimmer and even though it was not enough. I am anti-trees next to a pond at this point. They are nice but annoying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
As of this moment, I feel TERRIBLE! I noticed a lot of feathers in the net and kept expecting to find a dead bird. I looked and looked. Nothing. Then, just now, I noticed movement. A dove had become entangled in it. I don't know how it got under there. I'm guessing that the neighbor cat chased it in somehow. It was injured. Not sure if it had hurt itself badly with trying to escape, or if the cat played with it a while. I got scissors and cut the net to free it. It hopped away but I'm not sure if it will survive. I feel horrible!!!!!!!:cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
I had to put a net over my pond after a year without one because a Heron got some of my fish. I love that they are protected, but HATE that the birds wont come down to the waterfall or pond to drink and play. Even the little mud daubers have to squeeze through the holes..............Nets are great for leaves and protection, but I'd rather it wasn't there.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One reason I stick with the wide weave net. Nothing gets stuck and it stops the heron.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just resign myself to dragging a net across the bottom of the pond for a few hours / days each fall to get them all out...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What do people use to attach the netting to the stakes to keep it suspended above the water?

Ask a Question