betta pictures and an impressive bubble nest

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The tank was one of those kits from the big box store -- the filter hangs off the back and has charcoal cartridges and a biowheel -- I want to say it's something like 85 gph maybe? The flow back in seemed like it was generating quite a current, so I also added a sponge at the "waterfall" which seemed to calm things down. I added an additional light bar because of the plants, there's a gravel bottom, heater, etc.

Now, the tank is an overgrown, planted mess because all my free time is spent outside working on the big aquarium, so it is nice to not have to worry about water changes since it's fishless, but I miss having someone greet me when I walk in the door, lol.

I tell myself that the fish already had a tough go of things (when I got him, he was down at the bottom of the vase, wouldn't eat, barely swam, etc. It was all uphill from there once I put him in the tank (yes -- free fish turned in to $100 investment) until that fateful sunday. Maybe I killed him with kindness? =/
We certasinly miss the indoor setups but hey for the space we have left over, then it was well worth the move to the pond enviroment

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
We termed anyone who worked with aicraft with a cheerful but micky taking knick name of WAFU's always last on and first off the ship sometimes before he gangways were even secured [true]....
I was a TAS APE or Sonar man equivulent to your Petty officer 1st class sadly the days of the large british aircraft carriers wained for the smaller through deck cruiser carriers but hopefully we will see llarger ones in the HMS QUEEN ELISABETH class of Carrier and the HMS PRINCE CHARLES hoever there has nevr bnot been an HMS ARK ROYAL in the navy so we old carrier ratings are pettioning the MOD to get things changed .
May I ask which others you where on ?
Nice talking to a fellow carrier Rating :happy:

Dave .

I was on the Theodore Roosevelt, George Washington, John C Stennis, and John F Kennedy(my fav).
It was always a challenge to embark on a new ship, always had an "us and them" feel. And eventually we'd click like a well oiled machine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I was on the Theodore Roosevelt, George Washington, John C Stennis, and John F Kennedy(my fav).
It was always a challenge to embark on a new ship, always had an "us and them" feel. And eventually we'd click like a well oiled machine.
I agree yes it was a challenge on the Ark royal we had a sectret weapon "little Wilf" who was a ventriliquists dummy and our Skipper was "Big Wilf" on the Ships CCTV little wilf held a slot and used that ruthlessly to slate or take the micky of them and it worked the ship was a well oiled machine and a very happy ship to boot
Here's to carrier ratings ship mates one and all no matter what nationality

11078245_1437069129929780_1885933614310752271_n.jpg

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Love the betta! I also got a male one (my son asked me to get one and I was too happy to agree) and he's in the same tank with all my other fish (and 3 big watonai goldfish) and the crayfish. He's been good in there and grow big now.

So, now I have a lovely, overgrown 10 gallon planted tank with way too many snails.

I want to have a planted tank. I even have co2 set up and 2 56w light for my 55 gallon but I only grow algea right now :( it's the same tank I have my fish in so plenty of nutrient but the plants just won't grow but the algae!! :cry:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Nepen, I have bettas in some of my aquariums with other fish too. I think we talked about this before but you gotta be careful with the crayfish in a tank with bettas. Sooner or later the betta is going to be a snack for the crayfish :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Haha I know, my first one already was a snack to the crayfish. I think this one is a lot smarter and is more active though. He is swimming everywhere, not really hiding like the last one. So finger cross. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Nephe there are certain fish that do not do well together this is why they have compatable species books so you can make a good informed choice as to what fish etc you can put together safely in a tank....
Crayfish and Bettas do not go together in a tank "sorry but thats a fact personally I'd remove the betta and put it in its own tank".
I dont want to be answering a post in a week or two's time saying help Betta attacked by crayfish because I'd have to truthfully say "I told you so".

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ahh this is agony three more likes takes us to a 2,000 likes I've been watching them tick down since yesterday when I realized just how close Val and I were to that figure. :cool: :LOL:
Anyone want to put use out of our agony to bring it to a nice round number ;)

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Dave. He was first in his own little tank but my son and my animals were playing and knocked the tank to the floor (new tank too) so I put the betta in the big tank until we could get the new tank and just hadnt done that yet. I'll get him out somehow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
In the far east these bettas live in Jam jars in the tropical shop we use for food they are in there own little tanks about the size of jam jars with air being pumped in .
Sterilize something like that they are Labyrinth fish which means they are in possesion of an extra breathing organ situated in the head immediately behind the gills that will suffice for now till you get a new tank .
We used to keep tropicals ourselves years ago :)

Dave

Last edited:

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
BEEEEEEEEEEautiful! I have a soft spot for Bettas -- rescued one from a coworker a few years back and kept him alive in my office for another 3 years. He (Ron Burgundy) was my success story. Since then, i've had 2 more but they didn't last long (1 year for one and 3 months for the other). The latest (3 monther) I rescued from one of those dumb glass vase getups... set him up in a nice 10 gallon tank with good filtration and lots of plants and he was doing GREAT! Then, woke up one sad Sunday and he was dead. Water tests were all good, but PH was a bit on the low side. I am at a loss, and kinda scared to try again.

So, now I have a lovely, overgrown 10 gallon planted tank with way too many snails.
I can't stand to see fish in a tiny bowl like they sell the Betta's. My daughter is into them and I've offered several options other than the bowl but she say's he's OK. At least she keeps some pond vegetation in there for him.

Ask a Question