bio filter question

Reaction score
I would like to see the water about 50 to 75% more clearer. I tried to clean out as much of the river rock as I possibly could the other day but I can tell that's there is a lot more that I didn't get that still sits on the bottom. Once I see the water clear up a bit I think I will get the rest of the rock out, or should I do it while the pond is in it's current state? I will be doing more research on the green water and possible solutions. I'm starting to see that this hobby is a lot of trial and error and once you figure out how your pond works, it will be much more enjoyable to maintain it then to troubleshoot.

Reaction score
I posted a thread last year describing the quilt batting filter I came up with for my pond made out of a bucket with a lid, it actually works very well for polishing the water. I have stirred the water pretty good a couple times already this year cleaning the pond, and within a few hours the water is crystal clear again.
I clean and re-use the quilt batting material. Here is a video showing the kind of gunk that the quilt batting is able to filter out of the water.

Reaction score
I believe that draining the pond or doing a large or repeated "major" water change is going to do nothing more than prolong the time that the pond will take to reach its equilibrium. There are things going on here that
require time and if you interfere too much or too often with it, these processes may need to restart from scratch.

If you were to do anything "rash" because you cannot wait for it to clear up sooner, I would suggest that you investigate the biological and chemical properties of the water which are generating the green water algae.
This way, you have scientific evidence and proof as to what is truly causing it and you may then address these underlying causes in the most expedient and proper manners.

The UVC is doing nothing more, in my opinion, then treating a symptom. However, UVC it is probably the least expensive and least disruptive and most effective method to clear the water by killing off the Volvox and
buying time for you until the pond chemistry and lifeforms reach their balance.

As in human biological sickness and infections, taking antibiotics to kill off the invaders of the host is NOT truly correcting the condition, it is only alleviating the threat of the invasion long enough so that the natural
immune system can get up to speed in combatting the invaders itself. If you prescribe too much antibiotic, then the immune system doesn't develop properly or to its full potential or at all. Personally, I do not take
ANY antibiotics and I do not treat ANY of the symptoms when I get a biological infection unless it goes so far that there is an obvious threat to the body that it cannot recover from or is causing undue stress on parts
of the body. I want my immune system to be at its full potential, but through a natural process so that I know that it is working.

The above comments may initially seem so off base and unrelated to pond chemistry, but just stop and think about it for a few moments.
Everything in nature exists and thrives or dies based upon a very delicate balance of this or that.
From the lowliess bacteria to the human body to a pond, a river or the ocean, the health of an entire ecosystem or a bio-entity is based upon the balance of so many little things!
Unless you know completely what every "little thing" is supposed to be, then how well do you think you can treat or repair or manage that system?

What I am stating here isn't advice of what to do or what not to do. It is meant to be a way of viewing the situation from a specific reference point or angle.
There are so many variables here that if you attack one that depends upon another, you might affect a whole slew of others!

In attempting to elliminate the green water algae from a new pond, you might, in fact, be interrupting the natural cycle of the creation of the pond and stalling it.
Maybe it is SUPPOSED to happen as part of the life cycle of the pond? You wouldn't want pterodons and T-Rex's around your pond, but at one point in the life
of this planet, they were obviously necessary for the process of life here. Doggone, I wish THEY would go away! Those doggone T-Rex's keep eating my bridge
club members! And those Cro-magnon guys don't know how to play the game! .........

OK, that's just silly for the fun of it. :)

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Patience dont go at things like a bull in a china shop your green water will disapear it takes a little time thats all.
When you said about planting a tree to provide shade I hope you weren't serious.
I say this as I've heard it time and time again over the years where a trees roots acctually punctures the sides or bottom of a pond in its never ending searh for water.
So planting a tree for shade isn't a good idea , not only that but think of the leaves you have would have to clear from the pond or net in fall
Have you though about buying a sail to cover the pond with they look ultra cool and are supended and secured above the pond,

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Certainly! Be wary of tree roots too close to the pond.

My Mom's neighbor created a trellis using 2" x 8" wood on edge and spaced about 12" apart. Painted this trellis green and planted trumpet vines to crawl over them. The root system is far enough from the pond, but their foliage will shade the pond from direct sun while still allowing filtered light through. He has his small patio, chairs and a wood burning firepot nearby to view the pond under the trellis. It is very smart looking and cool, green and shady! The trumpet vines have yet to get established fully, they are just getting started but even so, there are hummingbirds galore! It is pretty amazing considering there is a highway just 25 feet away with a gas station and constant traffic.

Catfishnut

Reaction score
I never thought of the trellis, that's a great idea I might just have to build one. As far as the tree I would love something like a banana palm or pindo palm. I did think about the roots causing an issue but I haven't done much research on it yet but I did think about it. The pond is still under construction but I have it looking pretty good. As soon as I figure out a clever way to use the quilt batting technique in conjunction with the waterfall and hiding all the crap the best way I can, then I can start foaming it all in. It definitely came a long long way from where it first began but It did seem like It took a few steps back in progression with this green water problem. I still have a lot to learn and a whole lot of cussing and swearing left to do before I can really enjoy my little pond.

Reaction score
After 4 days with the UV biofilter! Thank you all for the help and advice. The Pond is clean and super clear. All the fish are happy. Now its on to finish up with the construction and the landscape.
Again thank you all

Attachments

• IMG_4187.JPG
    IMG_4187.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4193.JPG
    IMG_4193.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 205
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Remember to change your U/V-C bulb once a year and if you can run it 24/7 by the way is that a slick of algae or is it how the pond water is delivered back to the pond thats causing it ?

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question