Hardiness Zone
7a
i would put some type of strainer on your over flows

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you will be fitting 2 more long cages identical to the one's already fitted to the out lets, Apart from addressing the over flow strainers, can you see any other problems with the design, as I said nothing is glued yet so any changes at this stage can easily be made
2015-02-08 14.43.27.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would put your outlet strainers horizontal when you add them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh ok, please tell me why, because i was just going to mount them straight up, is it so more over flow will happen quicker and not back up as quickly or another reason? as i have already said all input is well needed and taken as i dont want to build it have a problem with flow or anything else post my problem, and some body say oh that happened to me i have around 16,000 gallon pond and i think that this summer the bio filter will be the weak link in the system so that's why I'm trying to put the K1 filter in place now before its to late and causes me no end of problems

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Just because you want to take the water off the top

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
This is what my outlet looks like.
i come in the bottom and out the top

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you will be fitting 2 more long cages identical to the one's already fitted to the out lets, Apart from addressing the over flow strainers, can you see any other problems with the design, as I said nothing is glued yet so any changes at this stage can easily be made View attachment 78336
We have those Slick they still get through , I can see about 8 lodged in our UV-C

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 78318 View attachment 78319 View attachment 78320 View attachment 78321 View attachment 78323 View attachment 78324 View attachment 78325 Sorry about that pressed wrong button lol, All info much appreciated as this is my first attempt at this type of project i have posted a photos of the filter so far its not all glued together yet so if any body see's some thing that's not quite right feel free to say so and changes can be made I have gone for long 40mm solvent weld cages on all out lets including the drain off valve to hopfuly stop the K1 escaping, I'm planning on using 6 2inch air stones

Might be an idea to give the airpump a major overhaul and diaphram change Slick this one I take it was on your pond prior to your new one ?
Either that or buy new , plus you really should cover them in some way stops the filter pad becoming clogged with outside polutants
Looked after they will be running for a long time to come as my Airtec 40 has done for many years , I use it as a spare backup filter for the two Aitec 40e's the 40's next generation .
Change all your airstones at the start of each season you'll be suprised how they clog or wear away
Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
DrCase you mentioned that i want to take the water off the top so if the first photo and the grout line on
the tiles denotes the imaginary water line of the out let then this design for a bio filter is not good?
so are the 2nd and third photos a better out let design? sorry for asking simple questions but as I said I have never built one before
2015-02-09 17.55.52.jpg
2015-02-09 18.00.34.jpg
2015-02-09 18.03.14.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
This is what my outlet looks like.
i come in the bottom and out the top

Hay slick
I'm running around 2000 gph through mine right now.

I have 1. 3" pipe going straight out the side with this hamster ball on it as a strainer

The top of my pipe is just below the water

If I slow down the flow I would see half the pipe and more of the hamster ball

If I just had a trickle the water level would be at the bottom of my outlet

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
your 2/3 rd pic should work fine

Put your pipe at the level you want , and expect the water level in the barrel to be just a little higher depending on you flow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for the time to look read and comment, so if you think that the new out let design will work far better than my first idea i'll start to glue it all together and give it a test run i take it that you intet pipes enter at the bottom of the filter so the water rises through the media? again many thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You got it slick
I come in low centered above my air diffuser

Ask a Question