Black Koi at Petsmart

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have an 8", solid black goldfish in the display pond at the garden center, and it is truly amusing to watch people's reaction when it appears, seemingly out of no-where, to snatch a morsel of food from their fingers. (We let the kids feed the fish if they ask.) I also have two black youngsters from this fish in my own pond, and WILL have black fish as long as I have a pond!
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
that's really neat that you let the kids feed the fish

I suppose if I want a black fish I am going to have to find a black goldfish (common or comet) because my pond isn't big enough for a Koi. I just never knew any goldfish to actually keep their black coloring as they mature. So it's nice to hear that they do exist.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The one at work is a solid black, without any trace of copper. She seems to pass this trait on to some of her offspring every year, and the two in my pond, which are now two years old, are staying black so far. Most black goldfish I've had in the past had a coppery sheen to the belly, but that isn't obvious when seen from above. A lot of them are also not truly black, but a dark olive green.
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
043.JPG
So I was feeding the fish yesterday and decided to take some pictures. After downloading them on the computer I am looking at a little calico baby that I know I took a picture of and as I'm looking at the picture I notice there is another fish in the picture! It's a little dark colored baby (who I'm sure will change to orange as he/she grows)

Thought it was funny though especially since we were talking about having black fish in a pond.

Ask a Question