Black koi

Reaction score
that's definitely not a koi. Looks like a common goldfish to me.

I have a black koi (from the top view). (We named him Barack. LOL!) He's got orange and white on the underside, but you can't really see it from the top view in a pond of course. Our water is pretty clear, but personally I don't care for him because he doesn't really add anything to my flock. He's sort of the ugly duckling among his more colorful swan siblings. With a black liner on the bottom of the pond, he's sort of hard to see. He is extremely lively, so he's hard to miss from that perspective.

But, I will likely give him away one day when I see another koi I've gotta have that will need that space. I'd rather have the color. Nothing against him tho, as I have one boring basically just orange koi that I will likely trade away as well for the same reason--adds nothing interesting.

Reaction score
Hi
I have a new mostly black Koi he is around 12 inches he has white lips he is stunning but I think he is just a mixed Koi I don't think he has a name we call him midnight I will try and post a photo tomorrow, I also have a white Koi with yellow spots he is stunning if i post photo's do you think someone might know what type he is I have never seen one with yellow colours before I called him sunshine
Cath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a totally black koi . Not sure where it came from. Could of been through breading it’s about 12” long are they rare ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will try get a photo tomorrow night not sure how to post it can e mail to you ?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Black koi are supposed to be good luck. I ordered 2 from Japan, very small. One ended up turning bronze, the other developed white fins and tail.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Flinty your talking or responding to a post that was put up back in 2009

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok why did these three responces show not untill i had posted mine things that make you go hmmmm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have ones that are black too…. was feeling left out in responding to these old posts…
poor, poor @Jhn ...perhaps if you POSTED A PIC of said blackie, maybe you can make this old post new again!!

(jeez, didn't even get a chance for an acro; hmm, would you accept OPNA? No? Hmm, well, there'll be other ops!)

I'll add my 'black koi' experience; having succumbed to MFS (YAY! there it is--thank you addy!), I figured with an underwater camera, I could actually SEE a black koi. I had two large, 14", black sharks in aquariums while growing up and envisioned this koi looking like that. So, got the karasu in late May. By late June, I never saw it again. So, what they say about black koi (never going to see it) has proven quite prophetic!

Ask a Question