Black koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a black koi, named her Ghost. About 10yrs old, I think.

Screenshot_20211018-141306_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20211018-141801_YouTube.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Baby picture of Ghost, in case you wanted to see one.
View attachment 143342
hmm, I know I'm a bit color-blind (red/green) but does your Ghost look a bit on the brown side? If so, makes me think maybe you have a chagoi. Though, the other pic looks much more black-gray. Most pics I've seen of karasu look much blacker, esp at a young age. The one I had was bf, so different from the get-go. Btw, the fish in my avatar is a 'ghost' kikokuryu, which I also named 'Ghost'. Has darkened up but still has a good amount of shiny silver too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
hmm, I know I'm a bit color-blind (red/green) but does your Ghost look a bit on the brown side? If so, makes me think maybe you have a chagoi. Though, the other pic looks much more black-gray. Most pics I've seen of karasu look much blacker, esp at a young age. The one I had was bf, so different from the get-go. Btw, the fish in my avatar is a 'ghost' kikokuryu, which I also named 'Ghost'. Has darkened up but still has a good amount of shiny silver too.
Baby picture was in full sun, which washes out thin fins. Idk.
But she's not bright orange bellied or such. I've read that there are variants of black, black-black, black-white, black-orange, I think there's another?

Googled "black chagoi" and they all have a visible net/scales. I can't see that on mine.

I named her Ghost because I almost never see her. She's like a tiny pond gift when I am able to spot her.

Pics of Ghost-
Screenshot (164).pngScreenshot (166).png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Baby picture was in full sun, which washes out thin fins. Idk.
But she's not bright orange bellied or such. I've read that there are variants of black, black-black, black-white, black-orange, I think there's another?

Googled "black chagoi" and they all have a visible net/scales. I can't see that on mine.

I named her Ghost because I almost never see her. She's like a tiny pond gift when I am able to spot her.

Pics of Ghost-
View attachment 143345View attachment 143346
she's a good one, no doubt. Shows up nicely against your lighter colored fish! The shiro bekko looks good also!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have tooooooooooooo many black fish I started with a black and gold scaled outlined and a black orange scaled outline. the gold is male and is called viper a very aggressive fish in mating season. he is in the little pool waiting for a free ride back to the koi shop. He has spawned countless generations some look just like him while others are just black with the silver armor pattern kinda beautiful when they grow to full size but for not there's just too many. all in all i think i have about 12 black babbles from 8 inches to 3. you can see some in the videos.
Were are you located? Are you looking for a home?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1637257692439.gif
@Lsecour
Hi and maybe start a thread in the welcome section here and introduce yourself and tell us where you are from and maybe someone close to you will have some fish for you.

1637257798846.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
So there is not a chance that someone here has one solid black koi? If not then alll well ill settle for koi with the dominant color black.
I have two solid black and one with a slight reddish belly

Attachments

• 64DC0DAA-76C3-48F1-BC3B-739DE6C98BA8.jpeg
    64DC0DAA-76C3-48F1-BC3B-739DE6C98BA8.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 17

Ask a Question