Blanket weed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - just joined this forum in the hope that someone may be able to tell me what problem I have with my pond. All the oxygenating plants have a coating of what possibly could be old blanket weed but it doesn't pull out like blanket weed instead it seems to disperse. Hopefully you will see the problem from the two attached photos. Do you think this will clear when the water warms up a bit or should I be doing something about it? Many thanks for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Yes that is blanketweed or string algae. It will not clear but will only get worse as the water warms, The only way that I know to get rid of it is with chemicals such as sodium percarbonate or other products sold at pond stores or you could try barley straw. Pulling it out releases spores which then spread the stuff. A little is okay because the fish love it but a lot will suck the oxygen out of the water (at least that is what I have read) Do you have a waterfall? If so do you have a problem with it here?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I had a lot of this last year, and once the pond plants took off with warmer weather, all the green algae stuff disappeared! Maybe the plants started taking up the nutrients feeding the algae? If you get a clean new toilet brush (that has never been used for any other purpose) it is fun to twirl it out like spaghetti! It stirs up the water for a while, but my fish think it is the best thing ever! I have a good bit this Spring, too, and I've been getting it out with a skimmer net. It is fascinating to see how such a huge green cloud in the water - turns into a little green blob in the net, when the water drains out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks Bagsmom and Mgmine for your replies. Sound like I have a bit of work to sort out out but I like the idea of the toilet brush!! I've only ever used a cane previously! Probably the hardest job will be getting the blanket weed off the oxygenating pants - I might pull out all the old ones and but some new or look at the chemical route. Thanks again!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Frostynick I've had that nasty stuff before. Just have to net it out and stir it so your filter can suck it up. I never go the chemical route myself.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My pond always looks like that every spring. I use to worry about it and use my pond vac to clean it up. Now I just start up my pump, and let the plants start to grow and it goes away on its own.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never have that in the big pond, but the small ponds it does show up. Right now in the hot tub pond I have some on the parrots feather that survived being frozen. I was going to pull all the stems thinking it was all dead, but there is new growth on all the tips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Before using chemicals, do a little experiment. See if it dies off once the plants start really growing. That's how it is in my pond, but we we have lots of warm weather and the marginals and submerged plants grow and grow and grow. The algae doesn't stand a chance. Good luck with the toilet brush! I have found it does really well with the bright green, filamentous stuff. Less effective with the poofy clouds of it - but in that case, the skimmer net seems to work. I hope you see great results soon!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog plants are barely growing but they don't allow any algae in the big pond. Also a lot of hornwort and anacharis is growing in the pond. The fish are still inhaling it.

Ask a Question