Blanket weed or algae

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone confirm is this blanket weed or some sort of algae. Many thanks Mark.

Attachments

• 20160516_175853.jpg
    20160516_175853.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 275

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Definitely algae! I've heard it called blanketweed, hair algae, mat algae, slime algae, and a bunch of other names I'm too polite to repeat on a family-type forum, but it is definitely algae. :D
John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your help it just grows on the bottom and sides scrape it off with my net . My water is Crystal clear tho .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The algae may be why your water is clear .It uses up the nutrients from the fish .I saw on a garden show that some people eat it .I am a vegetarian but not going there

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The algae may be why your water is clear .It uses up the nutrients from the fish .I saw on a garden show that some people eat it .I am a vegetarian but not going there
Bit of salad cream it will be lovely lol

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I saw on a garden show that some people eat it .I am a vegetarian but not going there

You have probably been eating it for years and never knew it.
Carrageenan is an algae extract that has been widely used in the food industry for years. Agar is used in the manufacture of gelatin.

Ask a Question