How To Beat Green Water And Blanket Weed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there everybody out there this is my first thread so the correct answers will be appreciated ive tried several treatments to combat green water and blanket weed but it keeps coming back ive tried the exterminator to the barley straw ordinary to the extract to the pond balls but its so frustrating with it coming back if there is a cure out there please someone tell me about it thanx

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - if you want useful answers, we need a little more information. In addition to what @DutchMuch already mentioned - How many fish? How big is the pond? What kind of filtration?

And here's the first thing you need to remember - the algae and green water is a symptom. It's not, in itself, the problem. It's both telling you something about your pond and helping to deal with the problem until you correct it. Don't fight the green water - just correct the problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Don't fight the green water - just correct the problem.

I agree with @Lisak1! I recently figured out that my algae problem, was due to the lack of appropriate amount of plants! I doubled the size of the pond but neglect to double the plants:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
how many fishes and how much ur feeding them .size of pond, hows ur filter system and pump g/h

Reaction score
The only sure way that I know of to stop green water is a good UV light. Install one and within a week you should have non green water. This does not mean clear water but non green. A mechanical filter of some sort is needed to get the floating particles out. As far as the stuff that grows on the rocks I was told to use sodium percarbonate. I bough some off Ebay and now swear by it. I use spring water and live next to a farm so I will never have really good water. These things keep my pond clear and near perfect.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use no chemicals in my pond and hate them no matter how safe companies say they are .A uv if water goes into it slow will take care of the fine stuff .But blanket weed is a sign there is something else wrong .That is protecting your fish from dying .You may be over feeding the fish and adding to the problem .My fish are lucky they get fed 3 times a week ,there is plenty to eat in the pond .They clean their own house

Reaction score
I have finally won the battle of green water and algae by using two products. Green Clean and Microbe-lift/PL. My water is always crystal clear and you can see to the bottom after the spring rebalancing act. I also have no plants in my pond because I live in a rural setting and all it did was make a place for the raccoons and critters to get into and I was afraid they would puncture my liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I also have no plants

Hence the reason your pond won't clear without chemicals, ever. But if you're happy, then we're happy!

I'm not sure how your pond is constructed that the plants would allow raccoons and other animals access that they don't have otherwise. Do you have a rock edge?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I also have no plants in my pond because I live in a rural setting and all it did was make a place for the raccoons and critters to get into and I was afraid they would puncture my liner.
Would floating plants be OK? I bought water lettuce for my pond this year and it has made a HUGE difference in keeping the algae at a minimum this season.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also have no plants in my pond because I live in a rural setting and all it did was make a place for the raccoons and critters to get into and I was afraid they would puncture my liner.
We are in rural Maryland, got a lot of critters around. My pond is full of plants, no critters, except one stray deer, have gone into the pond. Lot of raccoons. One ground hog fell in years ago and just swam out.
I never fight green water or excess algae. Even at spring turn on time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
was it a sponsored thread :p ?
shud give u reminder 3 days ago our member lost 10 fishes due to algecide use

Ask a Question