water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
I have heard of planting in kitty litter also w/ good results.............just make sure you use the kind that say 100% Bentonite Clay w/ no perfumes or additives and it will cloud up your water for a bit but goes away pretty quickly

You can get a 25 lb bag for around 2.25 at walmart. I used it in oil pans for my lilies, they did great, ice melted enough to see them finally and they have new leaves on them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep addy that's the stuff and I think the name on the bag says "Special Kitty" or something like that and you can't get any cheaper than that :confused:

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I never knew you could plant in kitty litter. What if some of it escapes the pot and the fish eat it? I'm planning on getting a new catfish and they eat everything.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Doesn't hurt the fish at all if you get the right kitty litter. They won't eat it, they might taste it. Fish don't like to eat clay.
It will say on the bag in small print somewhere what the ingredients are and if it says 100% Bentonite clay than all is well :confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bag is plain basic red and the cheapest they have. The plants do well in it.

Reaction score
There's a bad joke in there somewhere. Kitty litter......Catfish Haha

Hmmm. Well I already bought P-gravel for my plants but I might consider the cat litter idea instead. What do you think is better?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
can't decide whats the harm in using 2 or 3 items to transplant them a little pea gravel a little kitty litter and oyster shells to top it off may be something that works for the plants too,'It's like a sundae you need something besides ice cream

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What one could do is put the kitty litter in the bottom 3/4 of the pot and then add some gravel to hold it all down into place and then top it off w/ the coral and see how it does for you. If it does really good then come on here and rave about it so we'll all know how good it turned out. Try it out any way you like.................there is as you know more than one way to skin a cat.................not that I'm for skinning cats at all :bdaybiggrin:

It is kinda funny how cats are so much getting involved in this pond planting discussion :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used kitty litter a few years ago. I put it in my waterfall basins in filter bags. I won't do that again. When I went to shut my waterfall down I pulled the bags and the smell was terrible. It smelled like it was anaerobic.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Whenever I used it I just had it in nylon bags hanging under my waterfall just under the water surface so the falls could splash on it. I never tried putting it in a filter. I was told to change the mix after awhile to keep it fresh and working right. In a pot w/ plants maybe it wouldn't go bad cuz the plants would use up the crud..........don't really know on that one :LOL:

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
mikeinpgh said:
There's a bad joke in there somewhere. Kitty litter......Catfish Haha

I was thinking that right after I posted it! Guess I always have been a cat person whether it be the fish or feline variety. He really was just like my cat--slept in the sun spot all day and prowled the pond at night!

Anyway, I got some Special Kitty and I'm going to try my plants in it and see what happens. I don't have any algae yet, but it won't be long now.

Ask a Question