Block walled pool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im in need of a testing tank built indoors on a solid concrete floor. As well as a test tank im planning on putting some fish in. We work in the angling trade so will be a nice feature for customers to see.

My question is will a breezeblock 4 sided/walled pool built directly on top of a concrete floor be stong enough to withstand the pressure. The size of the pool is 3m long x 1.5m wide x 1.4m high.

Also, what filter and drainage systems would be suitable in this?

Apologies if this has been covered before,
TIA, Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

Sorry, I can’t help you, but what is a “testing tank”? And what kind of fish will you have?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pressures are far greater the deeper you go add wider and longer to deeper and the numbers multiply quickly. sorry i am not a engineer but if you look hard enough i'd bet there is a Cinder block wall calculator . i myself over build everything i get my hands on . I am a firm believer in build it once and build it to last. The cost to buy some rebar drill it into the concrete deck build the block wall with the bars in the center and pour the block full with Concrete or grout . This will with stand a ton of pressure. Try you tube your size is extremely common and i would be someone has a video on their build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
let me add; cinder blocks (unsure if breeze blocks are similar or not) are not built to withstand sheer pressure but rather, compression. You're going to have to tie the walls solidly to the ground (not just lay them there and cement them to it) plus re-rod every other hole and cement filled in all. There's definitely some engineering here and you should spec this out. For instance, my dad made (4) 200+ gallon concrete aquariums and they were all solid concrete formed with wire, re-rod, and angle iron for the glass. Just to give you an idea.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1615005126354.gif
@Dave Saddler

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's an example of what I was trying to explain in my pond build . With the link below. I did not do a raised bog but I do have a raised pond wall

Ask a Question