Blocks for raising pond plants ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Totally forgot about the milk crates and yes cutting out the sides is a must for the poor fish that could get stuck.
Where in the world can I get milk crates lol.I always see them in builds and in the back of gas stations but I want some the honest way.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got mine at TRACTOR SUPPLY. Are all black and are sold as “milk crates.” Tend to stand up well to UV and almost indestructible. Caution, though, about the hard plastic colored crates sold as storage. Those can become brittle and break with exposure.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Telion Here is one of mine in use.

09A9CED5-A2C1-4ABA-B395-6ACFFF75CED9.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They have them at H-depot and Lowes too but not sure of the quality. Mine are all old ones that I've had for many years from garage sales or finding along side the roads. Like @Mmathis said make sure they are the heavy duty ones!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I used the black Sterilite storage crates from Walmart which are pretty much the same thing as the milk crates previously mentioned. Sterilite brand products are all supposed to be food safe and should not leach chemicals into the pond. I've not had any problems with mine so far and the smaller goldfish and minnows love swimming in and out of the circular holes in the sides.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i use cinder blocks in the deep area and rocks for shelves as needed

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have used the chimney flue liner as a spillway from my bog and then a very old version for the spillway going into the pond. The chimney flue liner is actually starting to break down. The other block came from a house dating back to early 1800s. Still going strong!
055.jpg

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 231
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD that's what we used for our fish cave. It's a great idea - the clay is quickly covered with algae so you can barely tell it's there. And they are flat so they hold planted pots on top very nicely. We did sand our edges as ours is on it's side for the fish to swim in and out and they are a bit rough. My husband wanted to try drilling holes in the sides so they could swim in and out of the holes, too, but I'm not that ambitious!
drilling is possible but if you want holes for the fish to swim through use a grinder and a masons cutting wheel

Ask a Question