Bog Filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just set a small flow in to the pond just more the what evaporates and the over flow goes to waste
if you follow the science, famous words today.... that method would take a very very very long time to actually make a dent in water quality

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
if you follow the science, famous words today.... that method would take a very very very long time to actually make a dent in water quality

Water quality is controlled by a good filter like a bog.

Water changes are not only about what you take out but what you put back in or replace

Rain water has little to no TDS and plants and snails in the pond use calcium and other nutrients lowering you KH and GH. Getting to low in water hardness can lead to PH swings. So to keep the desired level of hardness something has to be added back this can be done many ways. With my water I don't have chlorine or chloramines but it dose have about 10DH. just adding a trickle of water keeps me from buying oyster shell or having to dose all micronutrients.

Water testing sets the speed of the trickle from off in the winter, up to what is needed.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Water changes are not only about what you take out but what you put back in or replace

Rain water has little to no TDS and plants and snails in the pond use calcium and other nutrients lowering you KH and GH. Getting to low in water hardness can lead to PH swings. So to keep the desired level of hardness something has to be added back this can be done many ways. With my water I don't have chlorine or chloramines but it dose have about 10DH. just adding a trickle of water keeps me from buying oyster shell or having to dose all micronutrients.

Water testing sets the speed of the trickle from off in the winter, up to what is needed.
There is much more to water quality than a good filter that is just part of it. What defines a good filter at one point in time, may not be the case later. Understanding your ponds inhabitants and their needs throughout their life cycle is also abother big part of it.

We can agree water changes are not just about what you are taking out but what you are putting in. Your water not having chlorine or chloramines is only one of many deleterious (@combatwombat used it again) substances that can come in through source water. If you are going to do water changes the method you use is the best trickle in/trickle out, as with everything people need to find out what works best for their pond. For me and my style ponds doing zero water changes has always worked for me unless a pollution event occurs, water changes for the sake of doing water changes and not understanding why you are doing them can do more harm than good, especially as most will have no true idea of what is exactly in their source water.

The topic of doing water changes/growth “hormone” has been discussed before on here, but….doing water changes to stop a purported “growth inhibiting hormone”, there is no hard science to back this up, the article you linked to is just anecdotal. First off a hormone is created internally inside an animal, so it can’t effect change on another. Second, if there was a substance that was emitted by a fish that could stunt growth in an closed environment, it would also stunt the growth of the fish producing it, as well. Why would an animal produce something that would be harmful to itself. A big contributing factor to stunted growth in an overcrowded pond/tank is going to be the water quality in said tank, then there is also genetics of the fish, which play a part in fish growth.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

as mentioned above there is no this is what you must or must not due. every water supply has it's benefits and lack of

Ask a Question