Bog

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Has anyone built a little bog area out of the overflow spot in their pond? When we get a heavy rain, there is one spot that overflows in a little stream into our yard. I'd like to figure out how to build a rain garden or bog area where that water can go and not spread out. I did dig a little hole, but it just seeps into the ground. If I line it, I am not sure how I can plant plants in it. Ideas?

Joanie

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can line it with left over liner if you have some, or even just a plastic tarp, it does not need to be deep, 12-15 inches, the bog plants tend to have shallow roots. Poke a few holes in it to allow the water to leak through slowly. Fill it with dirt, peat moss, sand mix. Put in your plants.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Start with just a few holes, see how it drains, add more holes if it stays too mucky. Easier to add holes then remove them. A pitch fork works great for making holes.

Reaction score
I had a 3" overflow pipe which carried the water out into the yard. I was constantly overfilling my pond which resulted in the area being constantly wet and people stepping in the mud. I also found that the frogs loved getting into the pipe and hiding.

I dug the area out and installed a liner and planted Japanese iris and day lilies. I love it and it added another place for my frogs and toads.

Attachments

• frog crossing 003.jpg
    frog crossing 003.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 319
  • frog crossing 009.jpg
    frog crossing 009.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 338
  • swamp construction 037.jpg
    swamp construction 037.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 328
  • pond 6-13-09 001.jpg
    pond 6-13-09 001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 311
  • toads & frogs 6-25-09 008.jpg
    toads & frogs 6-25-09 008.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 288

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice idea and I love the photo of those two frogs conversing together :banana:

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Okay! I just ordered some liner to make a "swamp". I'm actually thinking of something exactly the size that you built, froglover. I have a little rock bridge I built over the run-off stream, and below that will be my new spot. I don't have much sun for daylillies and iris, so will have to find some things that are shade tolerant like lobelia and cardinal flower. And I will take your advice re. the holes in the liner, addy, starting with just a few to see how it goes. I'm very excited!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic, good luck with your bog, they are easy to make and maintain. Put some stepping stones in that hit the bottom, i.e. stacked stones, a cinder block with pretty stone on top, something of the sort, so you can get in the bog to work on it without sinking. If small enough you can just reach over the edge.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Addy, was that a trial and error idea with the stones to stand on and how far did you sink down in the muck :cool:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing jw, lets say my boot sort of disappeared, the peat moss was not thick enough, i.e. I had to add more to make it more dense. Call me black foot.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The liner stopped me from sinking all the way to the bottom of the tank, that would have been 2.5 feet lol, the dirt below the liner is gooey muck.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh no may have to send the rescue squad to pull addy free one of these days .Your husband might look at the window and think you got a statue in the pond that looks like you and Ignore it ,saying whats next .lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol sissy, he worries when I don't answer the phone while he is at work, never knows what i am getting into..............

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
can you blame him maybe he should put one of those ankle bracelets on you so he can track where your at .If your stuck in the bog again you may need rescued lol

Ask a Question