Bringing the fish in the garage this winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think perception often becomes reality. Ponds here (Midwest U.S.) are just as popular, if not more so. People are staying in their homes (slow housing market) so they are spending on upgrades and remodeling their current homes. Gardening and beautifying the outside of the home is all part of that trend. Plus it's a relaxing hobby that is a great stress reducer and is of interest to the whole family. All good things in a high stress world.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sure in 5 to 8 years maybe they popular here again.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thought I would bump this up.

New data that might be hopeful is that bacteria do live and are active to almost freezing. Well maybe not new data just new to me.

I will run filters/media this winter and see if the ammonia levels drop.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thought I would bump this up.

New data that might be hopeful is that bacteria do live and are active to almost freezing. Well maybe not new data just new to me.

I will run filters/media this winter and see if the ammonia levels drop.

If you can transfer some of the pond's existing filter media to the inside filter, you will be well on your way.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Member Meyer is the source of this new info from another thread, thanks.

Yes current pond media transferred and 50% pond water or maybe 2/3 in garage tubs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If you can transfer some of the pond's existing filter media to the inside filter, you will be well on your way.
We have a Canadian friend who brings her koi indoors every winter , her koi are kept for the duration in her husbands warkshop at aproximately 11c
She has barrel filters which she splits one to each stock tank and then adds pond water.
Prior to this her koi couldnt survive to -24c windchill -54c, nowadays thanx to my suggestion her koi all survive .

Dave

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
True, and it depends on the quality of koi. The low quality PetSmart Koi at $14.99 [US & Canada breed} have a tough time with almost freezing temps.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
So far so good, increased the filters and aeration for the garage koi. Will apply heat when temps are colder. So far November is really nice here.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
After 2 weeks ammonia is at 4ppm same as last year. Bio & filters have done nothing.

Did 50% water change and added ammonia neutralizer. Will check again in 2 weeks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We have a Canadian friend who brings her koi indoors every winter , her koi are kept for the duration in her husbands warkshop at aproximately 11c
She has barrel filters which she splits one to each stock tank and then adds pond water.
Prior to this her koi couldnt survive to -24c windchill -54c, nowadays thanx to my suggestion her koi all survive .

Dave

Dave, you neglect to mention that your friend in BC also regularly chopped away at the hole in the ice which both stressed out the fish and exposed the liquid water to further, deeper freezing.

Wayne, obviously 4 ppm ammonia is not good.
I would be interested in the timeline and procedure you went through to prepare your garage tubs for the koi.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ok, have 3 tubs, 75gal, 100gal, 250 gal. Each one has canister filters and extra aeration. Pond bio media is in each filter and the remainder I have in the tubs, by airflow aeration and return water from filters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Depending on your tub's water temperature, you would have to have a LOT of bio media from your existing pond in order to process your fish's waste.
I grabbed this off the net:

The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 77-86° F (25-30° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 50% at 64° F (18° C).

Growth rate is decreased by 75% at 46-50° F.

No activity will occur at 39° F (4° C)

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 32° F (0° C).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
All I can offer is that you need more bio media from the existing pond. (if it isn't frozen over yet like mine)
Otherwise, possibly warm up your garage for a few weeks to allow for biofilm growth (sorry)

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I agree, there just is not enough good bacteria to cycle at 40F. I'll check again in 2 weeks.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
4 week test and ammonia is 4-6ppm. I give it one more 2 week cycle and if no changes I'm pulling all filters and media.

Ask a Question