Bringing the fish in the garage this winter

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well folks so far so good with the fish in the unheated garage. I bought small aquarium heaters and alternating them with higher watt pond heaters as needed. Trying to keep 38-40F.

Problem is the ammonia levels are high. Have to change out water every 2 weeks to keep it down. This is not the best way to overwinter fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well folks so far so good with the fish in the unheated garage. I bought small aquarium heaters and alternating them with higher watt pond heaters as needed. Trying to keep 38-40F.

Problem is the ammonia levels are high. Have to change out water every 2 weeks to keep it down. This is not the best way to overwinter fish.
We continue with our routine water changes at specific times during the winter and change 40% of our ponds water every maintenance weekend (flexible either saturday or or sunday) it doesnt matter to do it on a specific day .
My Canadian friend in her latest email to me has changed things and now runs two indoor Vats the filters from her can be detached from one another and both still mature run the vats throughout the winter with the addition of extra piping
She does a regular water change of about 30% per fortnight , her koi are kept at 11c in her husbands workshop throughout the winter only returning them to the pond in late spring.
She employs sacks of zeolight leach out and store any ammonia present .
The upshot of all this is she has gone from loosing koi to intense cold to not loosing a single one so if done correctly there's alott to be said about overwintering koi indoors ,

Dave

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
What??? What was post #27 about then??

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
THanks Dave, since I am still in the coldest region of anyone posted here even in a garage, I can say that bacteria activity is 0 and the only way to success is water changes. I am amazed however at the really high levels of ammonia like 4PPM.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
This past winter I must report I have been doing water changes every 2 weeks to keep the ammonia down. Pain in the butt with 3 tubs. This winter I will set up a 60 F homemade setup in the garage so the ammonia cycles.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lot of work for you north ponders. Mine get to stay outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've always wintered my four koi outside, but it sure would be nice to have them in my basement, where I could actually see them :)

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes Addy it is as to why less people are doing the pond thing now up here.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Did you have a filter running on the inside setup?
Why would ammonia be an ongoing problem?
No filter as they don't eat, bacteria levels are 0 which means the water cycle doesn't work. A few posts up someone mentioned that the fish breathing out produces ammonia. Small 250gal tub, 100 gal, 75 gal doesn't take long to build up the ammonia. THis winter I want to build a 1000 gal setup instead of 3 tubs.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Anecdotal yes based on 2 pond supply and pond build companies in my city. Ponds are on a downward trend. Pondless waterfalls are popular now.

Ask a Question