morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yes Addy it is as to why less people are doing the pond thing now up here.

I built a total of 19 in York Region this past season, ranging in size from 2500-35000 gallons.

I built 17 last season.

These are ponds. Pondless waterfalls, streams, etc. are a different stat.

I haven't seen a decline. What I have seen is a large number of "inheritances", whereby someone buys a house with an existing pond that requires remodelling, upgrading, cleaning, etc.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ammonia is at 0 at the 6 week test but nitrite is 3. I will retest again to confirm results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
new to site and ponding, came across this thread and forum just today
I'm rescuing some pond fish from a lady in a neighboring town who is moving to Florida from northern NJ
****disclaimer**** I have very little experience with fish and have a really bad track record with aquariums
It's late in the season here and I'm been furiously researching how to build a pond and winterizing, I even began digging a small pit.
Then I got the idea to instead winterize the fish in the garage over till the spring, when I can spend more time building the pond and preparing it for fish. So here I am :)

@waynefrcan, were you able to figure out the ammonia issue and how many fish and size are in each container?

where I live it gets down to about -10F but most of the time it averages about 25F, so icing is an issue. Water will not freeze in my garage since it's in the same level as the basement. I was just planning to keep the fish in two plastic whiskey style half barrels with aeration stones till spring. The tubs will be on casters so they can be dragged closer to the inside walls to get more heat. What water temp should I be targeting?

I may try to winterize a few fish outside next winter, but I think trying to doing everything before xmas and adding fish outside to new home is a sure fire way to dead fish. After reading this thread, I'm fairly sure this is the right approach for my situation, let me know otherwise.

I'll do a formal intro soon, just too much to do before the holidays, vacation and riding bikes....

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hi Qclabrat
It would be better for you to start a new thread as it will be easier for all to assist you, as every situation is different.

For example to your question
What kind of fish are you rescuing
How many
How big are they ?

There is a lot of experience and great people so you will get lofts of help here.
And welcome

Ruben

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
new to site and ponding, came across this thread and forum just today
I'm rescuing some pond fish from a lady in a neighboring town who is moving to Florida from northern NJ
****disclaimer**** I have very little experience with fish and have a really bad track record with aquariums
It's late in the season here and I'm been furiously researching how to build a pond and winterizing, I even began digging a small pit.
Then I got the idea to instead winterize the fish in the garage over till the spring, when I can spend more time building the pond and preparing it for fish. So here I am :)

@waynefrcan, were you able to figure out the ammonia issue and how many fish and size are in each container?

where I live it gets down to about -10F but most of the time it averages about 25F, so icing is an issue. Water will not freeze in my garage since it's in the same level as the basement. I was just planning to keep the fish in two plastic whiskey style half barrels with aeration stones till spring. The tubs will be on casters so they can be dragged closer to the inside walls to get more heat. What water temp should I be targeting?

I may try to winterize a few fish outside next winter, but I think trying to doing everything before xmas and adding fish outside to new home is a sure fire way to dead fish. After reading this thread, I'm fairly sure this is the right approach for my situation, let me know otherwise.

I'll do a formal intro soon, just too much to do before the holidays, vacation and riding bikes....
YEs I did with Meyer's help

Ask a Question