Broken bog manifold pipe!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you have there.
Maybe you can describe it again.

What I did as a vacuum break was to add a spitter statue to my bog feed pipe.
When the pump is running, the water flows out of the spitter statue, as normal. If the pump turns off, water retracts backwards out of the spitter and then it pulls in air, breaking the backward flow of water out of the bog.

View attachment 153974

It sounds like the same idea. It is just a T fitting at the highest point, then a raised elbow. If the elbow was lower the water would take the easiest path and shoot out there instead. If there is somehow a blockage in the manifold the pressure would cause the water go blow out the top of the diverter.

When you shut off a pump you can hear a little gurgling and the flow stops. When you turn a pump on you hear a lot of gurgling, some water shoots out the top but then it stops and goes down to the manifold.

Before I added the diverters, if I shut off the pumps the water would siphen out of the bog and into the pond fairly quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It sounds like the same idea. It is just a T fitting at the highest point, then a raised elbow. If the elbow was lower the water would take the easiest path and shoot out there instead. If there is somehow a blockage in the manifold the pressure would cause the water go blow out the top of the diverter.

When you shut off a pump you can hear a little gurgling and the flow stops. When you turn a pump on you hear a lot of gurgling, some water shoots out the top but then it stops and goes down to the manifold.

Before I added the diverters, if I shut off the pumps the water would siphen out of the bog and into the pond fairly quickly.
Same here as far as the gurgling.
If I turn off the pump the spitter statue gurgles. Same when I turn it back on.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Today we started the adventure of fixing the bog! Pulled some of the plants and started pumping out the water. Then the fun of removing the gravel. Bog is 10x3x2.5 deep. Decided to only check out broken pipe. Seems its not broken- clogged! I suspect the horsetail rush has something to do with it. Roots running all along the pipe. Going to attempt a partial fix- replace old pipe which turns out is 1 1/4" with 2". Have the new 2" manifold ready so going to try to leave the good pipe in place and replace everything else.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
#1Bog at start of project
#2The holding area below the bog where I will keep the plants.
#3 gravel and water being removed around manifold.
0916220906.jpg
0916220907a.jpg
0916221154a.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Today we started the adventure of fixing the bog! Pulled some of the plants and started pumping out the water. Then the fun of removing the gravel. Bog is 10x3x2.5 deep. Decided to only check out broken pipe. Seems its not broken- clogged! I suspect the horsetail rush has something to do with it. Roots running all along the pipe. Going to attempt a partial fix- replace old pipe which turns out is 1 1/4" with 2". Have the new 2" manifold ready so going to try to leave the good pipe in place and replace everything else.
2.5 feet of gravel from the top of the pvc to the surface ?
you had drilled holes correct ?

you think its the horse tail that's clogging the line there not a lot of horse tail in your photos

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Holes and slots. I had pulled a lot of the horsetail. Couldn't believe how big the runners were. They ran right along the pipe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
glad I got rid of mine, after seeing how fast it was growing in or out of the water.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had heard it would get out of hand. I make sure to keep my lizards tail under control. The roots on that have caused problems in the past.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I IMAGINE it grew into the pipe you going to cut it open and make sure its all gone and pipes open ? i built my recent bog with 30 inches of gravel on matrix blocks i hope it is deep enough to avoid root backup i imagine theres next to no chace roots can grow down 4 feet as the blocks are 18 inches

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Planning on pulling clogged pipe and putting in 2" on the one side. Going to leave the other 1 1/4" pipe in place for now. Removing all that pea gravel would be a nightmare. Doing just one side isn't going to be fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Planning on pulling clogged pipe and putting in 2" on the one side. Going to leave the other 1 1/4" pipe in place for now. Removing all that pea gravel would be a nightmare. Doing just one side isn't going to be fun!
Good luck. I'll be interested to see how it progresses. We're "there for you" (in spirit).

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Got a lot done this morning! New manifold is in, new 2" x 10' pipe. Used a Fernco coupling to attach the 1 1/4" pipe that was working.
0917221025_HDR.jpg
0917221050_HDR.jpg

All the plant roots held the gravel in place but still need to remove the gravel from under the new pipe.
Roots from lizards tail and horsetail were wrapped around the one pipe and had gotten inside.
0917221052.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Humm I have lizard tails never had any issue pulling the plants ie not huge roots. Now need to check,but can't yet.

Ask a Question