water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't think you will be doing any pond work for a while! Enjoy the down time-
Yeah stitches etc, no water contact.................. esp dirty mud covered water.

At least 2 weeks, ever after stitches removed not water tight for another week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I wonder if we should have wrapped our manifold pipes in landscaping fabric or something similar? Would that stop the roots?
Maybe not.
I don't know....maybe the fabric would clog easier?

It's still quite amazing those roots traveled all the way down there being you have 2.5 feet of gravel.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thinking fabric would clog fast. I don't think the bog out that often and then its usually the easy to pull stuff. I have a hosta in there that I have tried to pull for 2 years- won't budge. Sticking to shallow rooted plants from now on.
Going to raise the sides to stop the overflow as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think shallow rooted plants that spread easily would be great. If you still wanted some plants with larger root systems, you could place them in a pot and set in the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I bought some water cress at the grocery store when we had our bog and it did great ! I have water celery at our pond's edge...it grows fast, but is easily plucked and roots don't seem to deep. I bet water iris wold be beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
At our past house, and consequently past pond, we had a simple Aquascape system: Biofall into stream, into pond, skimmer with pump & around it all goes again. We placed a container of Umbrella palm in the biofall, on top of the bag of lava rock (which, back then, was the 'go to' media for putting in a biological waterfall unit)

One Spring when we had 'pond guys' come do our Spring clean out (which was really more of a drain, rearrange, tidy up plants, etc...) the roots of that plant had gone out of the planting basket, through the bag of lava rock, into/through both filter mats & right to the bottom of the biofall box. Those poor (fortunately, burly) young men had to drag the entire mess out in one whole massive root ball, which weighed a TON! (Well, probably not literally, but was REALLY heavy!)

So, yeah. Am I surprised that plant roots can travel down 2, 3, 4 feet & clog something up? Nope. Not in the least.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Taking a break from bog work today because it's hard to move! Muscles I didn't know I had hurt. Getting netting ready to put over koi pond. We have a few trees over both ponds!

Attachments

• 20220918_150706.jpg
    20220918_150706.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 11

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks- have 2 more days of hubbies help then on my own for the rest. The leaves are already falling due to the dry weather.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wonder if we should have wrapped our manifold pipes in landscaping fabric or something similar? Would that stop the roots?
Maybe not.
I don't know....maybe the fabric would clog easier? Definitely will clog , and they do next to nothing for stopping roots from growing RIGHT through THE fabric

It's still quite amazing those roots traveled all the way down there being you have 2.5 feet of gravel.
Id caution on any mint I had a hitch hiker . And I'm still battling it in the small bog

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mint is easy to rip out as is water celery which is also a fast grower. I just don't want to put any plants in that have runner roots!

Ask a Question