Broken bog manifold pipe!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Yep, those umbrella plants do have some massive roots.
We are lucky they are tropical and won't survive our winters.
When I pull them out in the fall, it's amazing how large the root system can get.
Mm. Hmmm. At least some of us in the tropical zones do a lot of pulling throughout the year! I keep them in a pot in the bog and when the roots start coming out over the pot top, I haul the whole mess out and start trimming. Anyone who wants some in the spring, let me know (just pay the shipping).

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Most of plumbing done. Added a 4x4 to raise the sides so now waiting on the small liner I ordered to patch all the screw holes on the edges. Got the 3" wide double side adhesive tape so going to cut a 3" strip to put around top.
0921221212.jpg
0921221212a.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When we had our bog I found water willow put down runner roots like crazy. I love it in my floating planters in the pond, but it's super easy to control in the baskets.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Seeming all around the bog a 3 ?inch extension. It makes little difference to sem on a 3 inch or 30 inch . Add on a foot and there's room for another addition down the road

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was just going to patch the holes. Got the 3 inch tape but didn't realize it has glue on both sides. Was lucky to find a 3x5 liner under $ 50 with free shipping. Cutting into strips. Not planning on rebuilding!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, got the 3x5 liner and cut it into 6" strips. Had to rush to get it done because of weather. The primer I got was way too toxic smelling but did the job. The corners were the big issue. The folds were a mess so smoothed out as much as possible and PL-ed them. Strip all glued in place and then had to deal with a sick pet that had me tied up for over a week. Ian didn't help. 6 straight days of rain.
We just adopted 2- 4 month old kittens for company for our now only cat. Day 3 and they have full run of the house so back to bog! Pumped out all the rain and started flushing it out. Getting good flow entire length so letting it run from lower holding area thru bog. Once water clears, start rinsing the 20+ buckets of gravel and putting cap boards back.
20221008_132720.jpg
20221008_132659.jpg

20221008_132735.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks as you did a great job flattening out the old. if i might make a suggestion that none of the ponders that i have seen do is to caulk the seams. the roots in the bogs will get under the edges and possibly cause leaks. the caulk will at least deflect the roots.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Done! Ran a bead of PL under the edge. I don't need any more problems. The bog was dry for almost a week so all the stuff in the bottom dried out. Hoping a couple of flushes will clean it out enough. 500 gallon area below filled with clean water. 3200 gph pump running now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What a job! But you've taken the time to do it right, so hopefully you'll be good for a LOOOOOOOOONG time!

Ask a Question