Bucket / Planter Veggie Filter questions

Reaction score
I'm guessing it's approximately 25 to 30 gallons. Pond is in-ground, veggie filter will be above-ground.

1) Will it be possible to run the output from the VF via tubing if I do this by gravity? Like... incoming to VF one size, output back to pond one size larger? Or do I even need 2 different sizes?... Would the same size on both input and output work?

2) Or... am I gonna have to drop another pump in the planter for that? Cause I'd rather not spend 2 hours trying to get flow rates to match.

3) From any of you who've done this before, anything I should know or keep in mind that you wished you'd have known before you started?

Ideally, I'm trying to just have the VF output tubing to connect straight to my itsy waterfall, which will be approximately 18" below the level of the VF output.

Keep in mind that we're only dealing with a 64 gallon puddle (as HTH so lovingly referred to it, LOL, a 25 or so gallon planter, and a 200 gph pump.

Thankies in advance for any and all advice and/or suggestions.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What I would do is run your water into the veggie filter into the bottom of the filter, via a hole, or tubing that will drop the water to the bottom. Then you can have the outflow be from the top, either water fall down into the pond or via a tube coming out of the to of the veggie filter.
They can be the same size. But I would have the outflow at least 2 inch, ease of flow, less chance of obstruction, imho. Or just have a waterfall type overflow.

Water coming up from the bottom makes it work to get through the roots back into the pond.

Reaction score
1. Yes it will work as long as it is higher than the pond or waterfall.
2. One pump will be fine. I would use a larger output. 2" is nice because it doesn't clog as easy, but you may get by with 1 1/2 with only 300gph.
3. Use pea gravel of course.

I would also take a look at your pump manual or specs if you can. It sounds like it will be about 2 feet of head. 18" plus whatever hight the waterfall is and hose length. A lot of the lower gph pumps loose large portions of their total flow after a few feet of head. Might have to upgrade pump. Good thing the lower flows are cheaper tho.

Edit: also forgot to mention. If it's possible,'make the output to your pond or waterfall strait out or slightly down hill. Any loops or low areas can collect stuff over time and clog the hose.

See if there is a way to incorperate it into your waterfall like a koiguy bio filter. Then pile rocks around it to hide it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a big bog lulu, will help you with any questions if I can answer them. They work great. Mine is pea gravel and plants, bottom fed, water falls into the pond.

I put a post in the diy section about bog building.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice!! :(. Got it put together & gonna test it for leaks tonight. Then just hafta reseal my itsy waterfall and hook it up!! I can hardly wait to get all these lettuce outta my pond, LOL.

Reaction score
Actually... just one more question... ;)

If I were to use the very bottom of this veggie filter for added biofilter, and have some stuff on hand, what order from the bottom would I add the following materials?:

matala-esque mats,
ceiling eggcrate tile (for in between layers),
peagravel,
leftover BioBalls that I took outta the filter box, but that have been marinating in a weighted mesh bag at the bottom of the pond.

~Lu

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would take the eggcrate support it a little off the bottom, add your bio balls, then the mats. With the eggcrate off the bottom debris will settle there.

Not sure you need the pea gravel.

Reaction score
It's up and running! I became a tad ticked with the waterfall situation, and ended up tearing the entire thing out and will be rebuilding, so until then... the VF output is stuck between two big rocks to keep it flowing into the pond. I can't wait to get the waterfall up and running again, cause the fish seem to enjoy the water dropping into the pond far better than the water bell fountain, as they keep swimming through the current.

5932462842_4bc588589f.jpg

5933122125_a16e744a28.jpg

5933124143_ca8b1693f9.jpg

And I know they would've had to be in the making already, but after moving my water lily to the veggie filter... it sprouted 3 flower pods! :regular_waving_emot
5933686056_7a52d1f5d6.jpg

Reaction score
and ha!... I just realized how sad it is that the veggie filter appears to be almost as big as the "pond." :regular_waving_emot

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You are queen of the healthy looking plants in a small area .They look loved for sure

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LuLu, the veggie filter being as big as the pond is a good thing, More plants for the crowd. LOL But that hose like that needs to be addressed ASAP, One animal comes by and knocks that tube away and your going to be sick. It's going to drain almost all your water.

Reaction score
Thanks! :)

I had the same thought re: my tubing... It's now affixed/duct taped between 2 sturdy garden stakes, LOL.

Ask a Question