Building a 8'x10'x5' deep pond into basically solid rock 6" under ground

Reaction score
Trying to show the V under it...

IMG_3086.jpg

And the solid rock under it that I could not budge.

IMG_3087.jpg

I got the rock out that was under it out after I got the big one out and it was huge. Thank good I gave up on chipping it away and found a way to wrap the wire around.

Reaction score
Plumbing’s almost done. Just have to do the shower drain to valve and test it. Im worries about the bottom of the hole not being smooth, but I guess it doesn’t matter. The top will be sealed and I will just use plumber’s putty.
I cut 2 squares out of HDPE and cut a 2-3/8 hole in each then got my heat gun up to ~1000*F and melted the bucket where I was going to put them and heat up each square and placed them on there and covered them with a scrap and threw a rock on top for a minute. No need to do anymore as they are solid.

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

Reaction score
Well I got most of my ideass for the filter, plumbing and weir from koiguy:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/my-70-gallon-skippy-filter-t3083.html
except I welded my weir right to the bucket rather than screwed sense they are both HDPE. I also have the new style bucket so my settling area is much lower and the T-risers don’t go as high, but I think it will still be fine as all the scrubby balls that will be at the first layer wont get clogged and will prevent the gunk from going any higher. Also I didn’t want to do the connection outside the bucket like he did as it’s just another place to lose water. Besides that it’s a close copy so I didn’t have to think about it too much.
I couldn’t find the plumber’s putty last night so I couldn’t install the drain, thou I did reinforced the bottom of the weir insuring a solid connection inside and outside.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i havent lost a drop on my connection, but that is a legitamate concern.. . as for the weir...its rock solid and i can replace it if neccessary, like going bigger or what not.

Reaction score
Im not putting yours down or anything just pointing out a slight differences and giving you credit for the design I basically copied. I am doing my pump line connection inside the container because it is easier is all. I will hold the vertical pipe steady with small bungies to the side of the bucket. I only citied the possibility of leaking for my reason to do the connections inside the bucket from another how to, I think skippystuff, and he says to do it inside incase of any leaks. Also want to point out none of the plumbing is glued together as there is not reason. Hand tight is good enough. Even the risers are just slip fit. I will be gluing the drainage plumbing of course.
I’m sure your weir is rock solid, I just figured if I’m spending over $100 on this plastic welder I better put it to use so I welded mine into place. The construction of my weir was never set in stone but I’m happy with the way it came out and it’s very solid as well. It is about 14" and do go larger would have reqired more tedious cutting of the tank. I just hope is will spread nicely on my rock thou the rock is not not 100% smooth:
IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

Reaction score
Oh no, it looks as if you spilled your beer!

It's looking good. I would think that rock will work out nicely. Looks like you have everything under control but, when I leveled my rocks for the waterfall I leveled from the spill edge so I have a even flow over the edge of the rock. Wish I had a few big flat ones like that.

Reaction score
Well I am thinking that I can just use the rubber matts I have under the rock to make it level horizontially and slightly downhill toward the spill edge so it flows how I want it and I cant have it spread to much as I think my pump will output at most like a 17" waterfall. I will add a little strip of liner starting just before the spill edge with 1/2" overhang should make it a nice flat plane off the rock, thou the spill edge is curved so we will see how it works.
Sorry if this is a nono, but wanted to post where I got the idea:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showpost.php?p=683361&postcount=2

Attachments

• waterfall_koipondcentral.JPG
    waterfall_koipondcentral.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 268

Ask a Question