sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Would have been better to take the pics outside so they are lighter and you can see more .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Would have been better to take the pics outside so they are lighter and you can see more .

What exactly are you looking to see? Let me know I can will make sure I get a better pic. Most that I post are fairly clear shots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi good luck with everything. You are welcome to visit and see my pond. It is all goldfish and one large frog. We are about 20 minutes away from each other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have a Savio skimmer and love it. I have both my pumps hidden in it. I couldn't tell from the picture how the filter set up works. There are two sizes of Savio skimmers, I'm thinking for the size of your planned pond the smaller size would be adequate.

Given your neighbor's yard run off, I'd build up your berm, to prevent run off.

Please let me know the water pump you use for your Savio. I need to by one in the next few days and would appreciate the advice. Also, do you use the Savio pump discharge kit, or did you simply run the plumbing use PVC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hi good luck with everything. You are welcome to visit and see my pond. It is all goldfish and one large frog. We are about 20 minutes away from each other.

I want to send a big thanks to CometKeith for inviting me over to see his pond. It was great to see a pond at the same time I am thinking about installing a pond. I have seen several before, but never really looked a design and construction until now. CometKeith provide some great advice. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Excellent! We visited lots of ponds before we started ours, and learned so much from talking to other pond owners. For example, we built our bog based on conversations we had with two other experienced ponders who had retrofitted a bog filter on their ponds and loved it.

@DrellDrell - if you get a chance, check out an Aquascape pond walk this summer. They arrange one a month from May - September. It's a self guided tour, so you can pick and choose which ponds you want to see and spend as much time at each one as you want. There are usually from 10-15 homes on the tour - everything from pondless waterfalls to really big ponds. Most pond owners are available the day of the walk to answer questions. It's a great way to spend a weekend and you will learn lots! We took lots of pictures to help remember features we liked or plants we wanted to add - it's a lot to take in in a single day, but recording the things that are of particular interest will help later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Quick Update:

Continuing to gather everything to start the pond. I have the Savio Skimmer Filter, ordered at 20x20 pond liner which is more that I need likely but I want to be cautious, Savio water pump (WM2050 rated at 2,050 gallons per hour), and the Savio 16" Waterfall Weir. Should have it all by Tuesday.

I also bought about 450 pounds in rocks today at a cost of only $70. Much cheaper than I expected – then again I have never bought this many rocks in my life! I wlike will need a few more, but I d not plan to add many rocks at all to the inside of the ponds. See attached pic - the flagstone pieces with algae are from a friend.

Also bought cinder blocks that I am going to use a base to both strengthen and help add height to the back berm. See the other attached pic which also has an outline of the pond.

As suggested by Addy1, around the perimeter of the pond I plan to cut in a 5"x5" or so ridge and use the 3-5" rocks to hide the liner. This will add a more natural look just under the coping shelf that will be covered by flagstone or similar rock pieces.

We are now thinking the pond will be close to 9'x6'. Trying to go a big as possible/practical for us. Starting tomorrow, the constant rain we have had should stop for about a week. So, we will likely start digging tomorrow.

One quick question:
Do many of you use rigid PVC to run your plumbing? It is a lot cheaper than the flexible PVC. I know I will need a few more 45 or 90 degree connections with rigid, but I am hoping it does not impact water flow too much.

Also, how deep should I bury the plumbing?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do many of you use rigid PVC to run your plumbing?

We used all flex PVC. It's so much easier to be able to get around the bends with soft curves instead of sharp angles. But a lot depends on your pond and where your lines will run.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Excellent! We visited lots of ponds before we started ours, and learned so much from talking to other pond owners. For example, we built our bog based on conversations we had with two other experienced ponders who had retrofitted a bog filter on their ponds and loved it.

@DrellDrell - if you get a chance, check out an Aquascape pond walk this summer. They arrange one a month from May - September. It's a self guided tour, so you can pick and choose which ponds you want to see and spend as much time at each one as you want. There are usually from 10-15 homes on the tour - everything from pondless waterfalls to really big ponds. Most pond owners are available the day of the walk to answer questions. It's a great way to spend a weekend and you will learn lots! We took lots of pictures to help remember features we liked or plants we wanted to add - it's a lot to take in in a single day, but recording the things that are of particular interest will help later.

Certainly agree to see as much as possible. I have also googled pond building beyond any level I thought I would ever do! I went to Aqauscapes last weekend and heard about the pond tour. I am definitely going to do the next tour. Also, looking to the a tour with the Midwest Pond & Koi Society.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Also, looking to the a tour with the Midwest Pond & Koi Society.

There's a pond on that is generally on that tour - I think it's in Arlington Heights - that is simply incredible. The entire back yard is a pond, with a few small island areas and a deck off the house. From the street you would never know what lies in the backyard! Typical suburban yard with a spectacular pond. One of the best we have ever seen. If you see it, you'll know it's the one I'm talking about - it's that special.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
We used all flex PVC. It's so much easier to be able to get around the bends with soft curves instead of sharp angles. But a lot depends on your pond and where your lines will run.

I will try to find it locally so the pond build can go after this week vs. waiting on a shipment. How deep did you bury your plumbing? I presume if I want to try to run the pump all year, I should bury the plumbing at least 8-10". Or, maybe running the pump/waterfall all year in Chicago is not realistic.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used all rigid pvc, worked fine for me. Just plan your lay out to keep sharp 90's out of the lines if you can.

Ask a Question