Burlap For Filter Media?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just wanted to know if Burlap would be a good filter media? HobbyLobby has 5-1/2'' x 15' Rolls of it for only $3 and it looks like it would be perfect for my small 10 gallon Flower pot filter Im building. Let me know you guys think, Thanks. :goldfish:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
wouldnt use it myself... its made from the 'jute' plant, like the backing on older carpeting and padding. its biodegradable this means it would break down and release more organics into the water table.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Koi Guy for the Fast response, You wouldn't think it would be ok to use for 1 month, then put a new roll of it in? thanks again!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Don't know much about burlap, but guessing Koi guy right, it would breakdown fast, but if you got lots it would not matter. One never knows for sure till one tries, see what happens, don't think it is toxic, so do a little test experment and see what happens.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just my thoughts...it will likely break down like any plant or organic matter... it doesnt have to be visually broken down to be releasing organics, producing the vary organics / ammonias, nitites, etc... that a filter is supposed to help remove.
**its definately made from the jute plant as a main ingredient..some has wood fibers as well, all organic / biodegradable materials.. now another concern would be any chemical additives, fire retardents, anti fungal, anti mold, anti rot, etc...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used some to cover a pipe to take a picture, forgot about it, about two weeks later it was falling apart. So be careful with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Guys I won't use it then, What about Batting? I have seen many of you use it for Filtering out Algae in your Water falls, Would it be a good cheap alternative Filter media? Thanks again everyone

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It works great, but will clog up fast, so you will need to rinse it.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I use things like these dumb cheap bath plastic spongy things my mom keeps buying for me, for extra filters screens to block the baby guppy fish from getting sucked into the pumps in my fish tanks, they work great, don't suck up the babies and allow water to pass without plugging up real fast. I also have used them for smaller fountain pumps that have no filter attachment to speak of, and strap them around those pumps too!

Attachments

• IMAG5166.jpg
    IMAG5166.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 256
Reaction score
I bought a roll of burlap at the thrift store once to use in the garden for seed starts. It deteriorated before the seeds had a second set of leaves. I grabbed a bag of pot scrubbers from a clearance bin at Ace hardware for my filter. I read recently about using bird netting for a filter. Seems like that would make good sense, and small rolls of that are under $5 at Wally World, HD or Lowes.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think the plastic pot scrubbers are secretly used all over the world for fish filters! I have used those too, but my mom gives me these bath things that I never use in the tub, so I do use them for filters of all sorts. See fish tank has a cut bunched up piece attached with an elastic and it works really good at stopping large pieces of hornwort from plugging the filter and stops the baby fish from getting sucked into filter too!

Attachments

• IMAG5169.jpg
    IMAG5169.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 292

Ask a Question