Burn barrel

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Do any of you people out in the counrty use a burn barrel? We have our three garbage cans for recycling in the garage for plastic, glass, and metal, but everything else gets burned.

working on ideas for a better burn barrel because not everything seems to burn up very well in my barrel, and then i've got to tip it over and sift through the muck inside.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We use a big cement sewer pipe ring as it has no bottom and is about 3ft tall and 3ft wide. I have a stainless steel cover over it to keep out the rain. I can stir it up w/ a big stick as it's shorter than the metal barrels we used to use. When it fills up w/ ash it's easy to just scoop it out and use a hose to spread it around and it just dissolves into the dirt. I don't put anything metallic or plastic in there so it's just paper ashes. We do recycle the magazines,cardboard and newspapers. Just burn the junk mail etc. that we don't want getting out into the world w/ any of our info on it. Heard some people were putting together peoples shredded papers to gain info.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just dig a large hole in the ground and burn it that and after awhile I cover that hole over with dirt and it conditions the soil and I dig a new hole .The old hole where garbage is burned just adds fertilizer to the soil .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I just dig a large hole in the ground and burn it that and after awhile I cover that hole over with dirt and it conditions the soil and I dig a new hole .The old hole where garbage is burned just adds fertilizer to the soil .
And heavy metals and lord knows what else! Be careful with what you burn!!!
John

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
My idea... I think i may put it to the test this weekend.

first pic, barrel, lid cut off, all sorts of holes cut in the lid

then the barrel, cut off a section toaward the bottom about to he first rung of the barrel, and cut these little slits in it to make tabs you cvan pound to the inside. then you can set the lid right on those three tabs and its suspended about 1/3 of the way up the barrel. and then the piece i cut off, i can stick a little handle on, so that i can remove and replace it while the barrel is still hot

now i can get myself a nice hot wood/ leaf fire goingin the bottom of the barrel, stick that little lid back over that hole. and just throw garbage bag in top of barrel and just roast all of my junkmail, food scraps, wet/nasty junk from my kitchen garbage. ANd then i just need a nice wire mesh top so hot ashes dont blow all over the place.

second pic is the back. where i'll have to cut the last tab and just bend it inside the barrel with a hammer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just burn paper and at the dump they have places there to throw your cans and plastic bottles for recycle so those get crushed up and taken there .I love the areas I have burned in because they get nice and green .

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
try that again as a jpg... smaller file

barrel.JPG

barrel2.JPG

Reaction score
Do any of you people out in the counrty use a burn barrel? We have our three garbage cans for recycling in the garage for plastic, glass, and metal, but everything else gets burned.

working on ideas for a better burn barrel because not everything seems to burn up very well in my barrel, and then i've got to tip it over and sift through the muck inside.

Ididntdoit,

Um, I have the perfect thing for you, but I don't know how you can acquire one of these.

What you need is the outer shell of an extruder's collector. Yeah, I know that you don't know what I mean just yet. Let me explain the industry first.
Extruding plastic. You take beads of plastic resin, feed them into the throat of an extruder (looks like a giant meat grinder). The extruder has a drive
shaft called a SCREW that looks like the innerds of a corn or soybean auger flighting, but the tube is heated to melt the pressurize the plastic and
melt it and force it down the barrel. At the end of the barrel, instead of being plastic beads, it is molten liquid plastic like a hot melt glue gun.

However, what you do with it from this point is run the molten plastic through a diffuser with HOT air and BLOW it out through fine openings in a DIE.
The molten plastic and all that pressurized hot air basically makes a vaporized form of the plastic and it blows out into the atmosphere.

A few inches away, you place a large, cylindrical drum made of stainless steel... This drum is perforated with thousands of holes. It rotates and the
molten plastic that blows against it cools and solidifies and forms a mat like a blanket. Then, that blanket is stripped off that collector roll and sent
on down the line to be processed further.

See what I mean? Understand?

Now... What you WANT for your burn barrel is one of those COLLECTOR drums made out of stainless steel and already perforated with thousands of small holes.
I have had one for nearly 12 years and burn all my trash in it. Since it is stainless steel, it is hardy and does not degrade with so many fires.

Stand this screening vertically, like a barrel and you light the fire through the small perforations in the screen.
Put a cover atop the cylinder and you have the perfect burn chamber.

Yes, I anticipate your next question.... How do I get one? Sorry, but that is classified! Ha Ha!

Well, almost classified anyway. How do you get one? Salvage yards. These items are worth thousands of dollars new for their intended purpose, but only hundreds of dollars used. If they are bent and nearly destroyed (unusable for their original purpose). But, if you are lucky, you can acquire one for dumspter diver prices if you know what you are looking for.

Basically all it is a cylindrical barrel, made from stainless steel and drilled full of holes.

Otherwise, to make it easy, just use a metal, 55 gallon barrel, shoot it full of holes with a .22 or drill holes in it and put a cover over the top. That is the easiest.

Gordy

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
ground is frozen... no hole digging for me.

Catfishnut... I do have some contacts in the plastics industry, but I spose I could just as easily (and probably much cheaper) take a sheet of stainless steel, punch perforated hole pattern all through it, roll ot arounbd and weld it together into a round drum. May do that if i wear steel drums out too fast.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
we recycle every thing, any name info is thrown in the yucky trash, black bag goes to the dump. Trees, brush etc gets pushed out into our woods down a drop, making windfalls for the critters to live in. the stuff slowly disappears.

But do have a burn barrel, 55 gallon metal barrel, drilled full of holes, works great. It was a wedding present to me.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
we recycle every thing, any name info is thrown in the yucky trash, black bag goes to the dump. Trees, brush etc gets pushed out into our woods down a drop, making windfalls for the critters to live in. the stuff slowly disappears.

But do have a burn barrel, 55 gallon metal barrel, drilled full of holes, works great. It was a wedding present to me.

Someday i hope to live buy another place where i have that kind of room, but where im at right now, while I do live in the country... it's like a little 4 square block nieghborhood out in the middle of cornfields. So i do have nieghbors, otherwise i would just have an area to push all my leaves, and brush into or a compost pile for left over or spoiled food. SO I have the barrel to get rid of paper, leaves, twigs, and old food.

little screen shot of my area... i kind of like it where i am, not isolated, but still not right in the middle of town either.

nieghborhood.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Okay now we all now where you live 99 and so we'll be coming over to partay around your new burn barrel :claphands: :bdaybiggrin: :banana:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's on then 99.............on our way :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped:

Ask a Question