Busy day at the pond!

Reaction score
LOL I was debating whether to post about my snake encounter, just a garter snake, but I sure could tell that the frogs that have taken up residence in the pond were sensing that there was a snake around. They just creep me out...I really think it is the fact that they don't have any limbs. Anyways, I tell my son about the snake and he comments that the snakes are probably under the liner... gads now I am at full allert when I walk out to the pond. Come to think about it, a bunch of the smaller frogs aren't around any more. I hope this is not a start of a snake invasion, as I won't spend time out there trying to enjoy the pond if there ends up being as many as there were years ago. Is there anything that will keep snakes away from my pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not really, they are seeing it as a food source. Here with the extra moisture, crickets have gone crazy, with the extra crickets, frogs (well maybe toads) have gone crazy, with the extra frogs, something else will go crazy.

Reaction score
kinda like this???

Attachments

• red-sided-garter-snake.jpg
    red-sided-garter-snake.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 250
Reaction score
I have seen garter snakes in a pile like that, but many years ago in my grandfather's cesspool! sorry I still think they are gross.

Reaction score
lauragal. I was just out at the pond here and I didn't see any snakes..whew!!! I did get some "Snake Off" and plan on putting a band around the inside of the pond fence. As for snakes under the liner, yes I had them a few years back and DH disassembled the pond. If this is any help, the snakes seemed to hide under the liner where the water fall was, I think that was because there wasn't a lot of weight on that area of the pond.

Reaction score
Now I'm really freaked out! You had to disassembled the whole pond??!!! I can't even think of that! I'm going to tell my husband to inspect the entire pond tomorrow. Geez, that's all I need. I didn't know there was such thing as "Snake Off". I wonder if it's harmful to other animals, like dogs and frogs? One of my dogs is constantly sniffing around the pond for frogs - chasing them into the water.

Reaction score
Don't freak out. My DH took the old pond out because I am deathly afraid of snakes and I wasn't taking care of it. As for the snake off, yes it is toxic to dogs and frogs and fish. My pond is raised and gets no run off from rain and it is totally fenced in because my sweet chocolate Labrador thought it was her private swimming hole she'd go in and come out with lily pads and horn wort hanging on her. I sprinkled a band of snake away about 3" wide a 1 foot away from the fence. No snakes today, except the one I saw slithering across the lawn.

Reaction score
Oh, okay!! LOL - Snake Off wouldn't work for me, then. Oh well, I'll just have to keep an eye out for them

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Leave them alone they will leave you alone, lauragal, I know tons of peeps that freak out about snakes, but they can't harm you unless poisonous of course. I need to figure out what is around here in maryland, have seen a few snakes, I am bad about them, want to pick them up and see what they are lmao, if I don't here rattles I figure ok.

They will run from you a fast as they can. In arizona we did have sidewinders, diamond backs, coral snakes, all poisonous, I ran into a lot of them when we did four wheeling in the sand dunes. You should see a sidewinder, they fly when going through the sand, really cool how they do that. They did their best to run from us faster than we ran from them lol

Ask a Question