Busy day at the pond!

Reaction score
I'm with you DLWyman! They are icky and the thought of them accidentally slithering over my foot or hand makes me think I might have a heart attack right there on the spot!

This garter snake didn't look so small to me!

Reaction score
Water attracts wildlife. You've created a wildlife magnet and now you're upset about a perfectly harmless member of the local fauna visiting??

In the hottest part of summer we've found garter snakes cooling their heels (so to speak) by jumping into the pond and hanging out for a few hours. They'll rest their heads on the water lettuce and let the rest of their bodies drift. The goldfish kinda poke at them, then leave them alone.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Telkwa said:
Water attracts wildlife. .

I know I am crazy, seen only one snake here so far, was gardening and it went over my fingers. Little gray guy, hope to attract some more, get rid of some of the mice.

I like snakes always have.

Reaction score
Herons are perfectly harmless wildlife creatures too, but they can clear your pond out in one night! I bet most people don't want them around their ponds. Snakes won't necessarily clean out the fish, but I prefer frogs over snakes so the snakes have to go!

But in all seriousness, nature will take it's course, and as long as those suckers don't crawl over my feet or hands, I'm good. Not sure if I'd rather have mice or snakes - I think I equally dislike them both.

Reaction score
The point I'm trying to make is that your reaction to having a few garter snakes hanging around is all out of proportion to any realistic threat assessment.

It's a pet peeve of mine that we humans tend to freak out over bats, spiders, snakes, wolves, etc. IMO a lot of that is because we've been told they're "bad" ever since we were little. Now that we're adults it's time to reassess the training.

We all know people who have a very strong reaction to creepy crawly things. I believe it's in our genes. Something picked up over a few million years of learning the hard way to avoid the dangerous animals.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
In So Cal, we worry about rattlesnakes, brown recluse spiders and black widows. I have all 3 on or near my property. I worry about my cat, Smoky getting bit, so none of these will last long if I see them first.

Attachments

• DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 201

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
THE DREADED BROWN RECLUSE SPIDER

Be careful where you put your hands. They like dark spaces &woodpiles.
Also cool areas in the attic..............................................

This guy was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider.

Day 3 ....PIC 1

The following illustrates the
progression
of a brown recluse spider bite.
The affected skin actually dies on his body.

Day 5 ....PIC 2

Some of the pictures towards the end are pretty nasty..........

Day 6 ...PIC 3

The Brown Recluse Spider is the most
dangerous spider that we have here in the USA.

Day 9 ....PIC 4

A person can die from it's bite. We all should know what the spider looks like

Day 10 ....PIC 5

Send this around to people you love, because it is almost summertime.

People will be digging around, doing yard work, spring cleaning, and sometimes in their attics.

The Dangerous Brown Recluse Spider

Please be careful.
Spider bites are dangerous and can have permanent and highly negative consequences.

They like the darkness and tend to live in storage sheds or attics or other areas that might not be frequented by people or light.

If you have a need to be in your attic, go up there and turn on a light and leave it on for about 30 minutes before you go in to do your work.

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO YOUR RELATIVES AND FRIENDS!

Attachments

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I always wore gloves when messing with wood, Planted a lot of eucalyptus at our last house in arizona, had no black widows, found out they don't like them. Was a nice break from them. Never did see a brown recluse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I was a florist for many years and the darndest things travelled in. Had green tree frogs, some kind of crazy gecko-lizard thing and a recluse spider that chose to bite my ankle. Of course i was smart and when I felt that I had sprained my ankle went to the doctor. Antihisimine and Anti-biotics put me straight in a week.
As far as snakes, bats, spiders go, I can say didn't care much for bats for the longest time or spiders after being bitten, but we humans need to have respect for our neighbors. Afterall in most parts of the world, they were there first. I do not mind snakes, and have encountered my ribbon snakes here and once a copperhead- I'm getting better, I don't scream now!

Ask a Question