Butterfly with dragonscales

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Always keeping my eye out for something different, tonight I ran across a yellow butterfly koi with the dragonscales. Yeah, I have no idea what the actual names are for these traits, but the picture tells all. This guy is not in the best of health - he seems a bit sluggish and there is some indication of a possible fungus in a row of spots on his tail, so we put him in a QT tank and dropped in a lifeguard broad-spectrum tab. I usually would stay away when they are questionable, but this is the first time I've seen a yellow butterfly with the large scales. I figure we can give him a few weeks to perk up and get his strength (and make sure he survives) before moving him outside to the pond.

I'm crossing my fingers here... this is the third koi I've gotten with that type of scales, and I have not had any survive yet. The first one was found mysteriously floating a few days after putting him in the pond with no sign of injury. The second one was purchased over the Winter, and jumped out of the tank. Here's hoping the third koi is the charm...

IMG_6914.JPG

Reaction score
Kind of sounds like this "dragon scale" feature is really a disease or genetic defect. It does look amazing, I hope he makes it. I love all of my yellow fish, they are so neat.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
that's a nice looking Butterfly, i like the fins, i don't like the scales in the middle of the body. I prefer just the row of scales down the back or no scales at all on the doitsu. The ki is probably the most unstable color when it comes to dagon scales (Doitsu) And yes I'm very fond of them as well. i have purchased four dragon scaled Koi, and three have been Ki, Not one fish held it's KI, The Hi one I got is holding it's hi color very well but the fins of that fish turn more than i like. Goot luck with it. they are fun to watch grow up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I assume Ki is the yellow color? I also have not had good luck with that, however this one is noticeably different. It doesn't really show in the pictures, but the color of this one has an almost greenish tinge to it. I haven't seen that before, so maybe that's a key to retaining the actual yellow color?

I had another yellow koi (the one who jumped out of the tank) with the large scales in what I think is probably the 'proper' fashion... a very distinct row smoothly down the full length of the body. It's unfortunate that this new fish doesn't have that same characteristics, however I really want to get at least one fish with the large scales into my gene pool to see what might come up over the years.
img_6455.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very pretty fish, if you like it, then it is the proper fashion lol

Reaction score
i don't understand what you call dragon scale... i don't see how it's a disease ??? If someone can explain... thx

Reaction score
The dragon scales are those huge plates on the sides, they're oversized and I guess that's why they are called dragon scales. I just made the comment that these scales might be the indication that something is wrong with the fish since so many of them seem to die. I am only guessing, it's not a fact by any means.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I don't think they are typically more prone to deaths... it's just that I've been trying to get at least one koi with this trait into my pond since last year, and have had particularly bad luck. My original comment about this particular fish not appearing in the best of health was also not meant as a comment about the dragonscale trait -- ALL of the fish at this store were looking in poor health this weekend.

The new koi is actually looking pretty good already - swimming around and eating well. If I can just keep any accidents from happening (we have a lid on the tank this time!) before I'm ready to transfer him out to the pond, then he should be just fine.

Ask a Question