Buying fish on line

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It sounds like you may have found a fish connection already, but I'll post this for anyone interested:

I was considering purchasing goldfish online as well, and for the same reasons; lack of variety in our area, and fish that were too skinny or otherwise unhealthy looking. I too was leery....although I've worked in the pet industry, and have had thousands of fish delivered by air/land. Usually the only deaths were from overcrowded bags or poor stock to begin with. But - we also had guarantees from the dealers to receive credit for any losses. So as an individual consumer, I was apprehensive....not knowing which on-line offerings were reliable, and with the high cost of overnight shipping, it felt like a gamble.

However, this past week I finally went for it, and I ordered a single shubunkin from Koi to the World. Pricy for one fish, I know, but it was nice to be able to pick out the exact fish I wanted. Anyway, ordering was simple enough and all was going smoothly...up until UPS called me on the morning of delivery day. I was told there was a "hold" on the package, and that I would have to come pick it up. I hadn't requested a hold, so I was mystified and annoyed. This is a 2+ hour round trip for us, and we're a one vehicle family. If it hadn't just happened to be my husband's day off, I would not have had a way to make this trip, perhaps for DAYS, due to his schedule. Anyway, I contacted the business about it, and they said they didn't request a hold on the package either. So they're investigating it, and I am inquiring to UPS as well....

Now on to the most important part, the fish! He/she arrived double bagged in a tight fitting sturdy cardboard box, with an ice pack and a bit of newspaper cushioning. (In my opinion, a foam lined box would have been better.) The fish was somewhat stressed, sitting in it's dirty water, but no obvious burns or inflammation. It does seem to have a somewhat deformed gill plate on one side, which was alarming at first - as I discovered it while checking for red inflamed gills. But it should be okay - either born that way, or regrowth from an injury... We're on day four here, and still alive anyway!

So other than the shipping hiccup, and who's at fault for that is yet to be discovered.... I survived! Although I'm not sure I'd attempt it again....mostly, based on the expense. But had this fish not been so unique in coloring/pattern, I wouldn't have gone for it.

I've heard good things about Liveaquaria.com, but since I was looking for "handpicked" options, I didn't order there.

Best of luck fish hunting, and please update us if you do have an on-line purchasing experience.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So other than the shipping hiccup, and who's at fault for that is yet to be discovered....

UPDATE: I contacted UPS via e-mail to see if I could get to the bottom of the "hold package" mystery. Turns out, there was never a hold package request made (as I had been told). Apparently, UPS just decided to not load it up for delivery, and left it at their hub with the intention of delivering it the following day. So at least one person noted the box labeled LIVE FISH - RUSH, and gave me a call. So I'm thankful for that. Otherwise the outcome for this poor fish could have been grim. Anyway, I followed up with a call to UPS, as well as KttW, to work out a shipping credit. I must say the communication with KttW has been spot on, so I'm pretty confident with them as an on-line fish source.

I hope this helps anyone interested.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
UPDATE: I contacted UPS via e-mail to see if I could get to the bottom of the "hold package" mystery. Turns out, there was never a hold package request made (as I had been told). Apparently, UPS just decided to not load it up for delivery, and left it at their hub with the intention of delivering it the following day. So at least one person noted the box labeled LIVE FISH - RUSH, and gave me a call. So I'm thankful for that. Otherwise the outcome for this poor fish could have been grim. Anyway, I followed up with a call to UPS, as well as KttW, to work out a shipping credit. I must say the communication with KttW has been spot on, so I'm pretty confident with them as an on-line fish source.

I hope this helps anyone interested.
It sounds like you had a near miss with ordering your fish there. I can relate I order allot of things on line for my home and hobbies. Things can certainly go wrong in shipping.
I found the part were the fish had damage to it's gill plate. If it was a birth defect I would think they should have disclosed that. Especially with the prices we are talking about. That seems more than a little dishonest to me.
As for I got lucky. We went to a street fair in a nearby town. I figured I might as well see if their was a fish around their. Luckily I found A nice one, and two shubunkins that were of the color scheme I wanted.
I was able to sit and watch them interact with their tank mates and surroundings. This part is the most important for me. I like to get a feel for the fishes health and personality.
I want to be sure the fish is healthy and would be a good fit for the pond. The fact that this is not possible with a fish bot on line is my biggest trepidation. I would feel like I was flying blind.
Both fish are doing really well. They are feeding and exploring their new surroundings.
It always interests me how this upsets the pecking order of the pond. All the fish show up to check out the new guys floating in the bag.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Will second buying from KTTW, have ordered fish from them numerous times, without issue. It has been awhile though as they have gotten pricey on their fish even the small ones.

Idk what is going on with the delivery services, UPS, fedex, USPS, etc. I have had more issues with them doing stupid crap in the past few years than the previous 10-15years of ordering stuff combined.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As for I got lucky. We went to a street fair in a nearby town. I figured I might as well see if their was a fish around their. Luckily I found A nice one, and two shubunkins that were of the color scheme I wanted.
I was able to sit and watch them interact with their tank mates and surroundings. This part is the most important for me. I like to get a feel for the fishes health and personality.
I want to be sure the fish is healthy and would be a good fit for the pond. The fact that this is not possible with a fish bot on line is my biggest trepidation.

What a stroke of luck to find what you were looking for at a street fair. Congratulations on the new additions!

Yea, I'm the same way...I like to inspect them too. Its just too bad we don't have many resources nearby... Everything is an hour or more away, so we're limited to a Petco, a PetSmart, Wal-Mart, and one pond place. No independent fish shops that stock pond goldfish. I have rescued a couple feeders and a unique looking shubunkin from the big box petstores, but selection is slim and health is always sketchy. The pond place mostly deals with koi, with some comets, shubunkins, and fantails. I imagine the more unique looking ones get snapped up by locals who can get first pick as soon as shipments come in, and what's left is the same o'. Not that the plain looking fish can't be attractive in a pond, its just different patterns and colors are nice to set things off.

I am really happy with the KttW fishy though, but I don't think I want to deal with getting live creatures via UPS anymore!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
...Idk what is going on with the delivery services, UPS, fedex, USPS, etc. I have had more issues with them doing stupid crap in the past few years than the previous 10-15years of ordering stuff combined.

I hear ya! Usually we have driver issues...as in delivering our stuff to the wrong houses. Never mind that we have our house number clearly displayed, as well as in big reflective numerals on our mailbox. But we have some neighbors around here that if they were to get our stuff by mistake, we'd just never see it again. Heck, if they were to get a fish on their doorstep, they'd probably fry it up for dinner!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Yes I think I am good on fish now. I have to get the new ones in good shape so they survive the winter. Winter is coming...
I would like to have at least a 1/1 ratio of males to females. Its was too much stress having 4m/1f, I am lucky I didn't lose my oldest female. The boys beat her up pretty bad. It would be nice to have more females that males. Only time will tell what sex the new ones are. Rite now they are still assimilating to the pond. Having noticed any spawning behavior since the new guys showed up. I am not sure if this is because that time of year has passed or if the new ones have just disrupted thing that much?

Ask a Question