buying your first fish in 2014?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a few black goldfish also, if you watch the video at about 2 minutes you will see one of the bigger black ones. It is about 6 to 8" There are a couple of smaller ones also but they may still change.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robamyphotos/11951435133/in/set-72157634025922619/

I love your videos... I could watch that all day long. Just call me Mrs. Limpet.

And one of our black fish from last year is starting to show orange in that same pattern, from the bottom up. I like the black and orange - all black is rather stealth.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Still looking for a nice yellow, black and white but will be selling off a lot this spring and have to check out the fry from last year. Seeing some possible good colors.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if we get anything it will be some shubbies.

Reaction score
LOST my Mind and bought three Koi from Kodama Koi farm Hawaii. They are truly beautiful 15 and 16 inch Showa Sanshoku 1 male and 2 females. That this years budget blown all to hell by February> But I cant say i regret it they really are Jewels. Cant wait to introduce them into pond. Most of my fish (all I could catch) have wintered inside and I have gotten rid of most of my Goldfish so I am not over crowded. Wish I new how to take good pics If I figure it out I will post them. No names as everyone says that bad luck! Oh and The girls are full of eggs........

Reaction score
PS. turns out we have a Heron Rookery about 2 miles from me on the James River. The news has been showing them all week...My ponds covered and most of my friends have various weapons at the ready:happy::happy::happy::happy:

Reaction score
I feel like I am pretty much stocked, BUT if I saw a white or yellow butterfly koi I would get it.

When I was at the pet store here (Cayman Islands), the guy told me not to expect any fry. Said the eggs would get eaten up by the other fish. He said unless my water is really murky I won't get any fry.

I don't believe him, as everyone on this site seems to do just fine getting babies.

Any thoughts on how to successfully have some baby fish in the pond?

Thanks.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Every year I end up with more and more fish and I end up culling the nondescript ones. Might sound cruel, but I don't want the pond overstocked and it's illegal to introduce pond fish into the environment. They're fish, it's not like I'm drowning puppies or kittens.

I do think that providing an area for spawning is important, such as bare root systems from bulrush, etc.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I feel like I am pretty much stocked, BUT if I saw a white or yellow butterfly koi I would get it.

Any thoughts on how to successfully have some baby fish in the pond?

Thanks.

Hang a plain cotton mop in your pond, gives the fish a good spot to dump eggs.

Ask a Question