sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen those rock looking pillars that you can put a top on with a planter on the top would hide it .They are fiberglass and you can leave the back off for access .My sister has one around her well head or one of those big fake rocks they put over stuff like well heads and other stuff .

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 91693 View attachment 91692 View attachment 91693

Here is one of my smaller filters, hidden under the hydrangea bush. As the bush fills out more, you won't even be able to see it. This filter fed my beautiful Japanese Shower lantern, that was smashed earlier this Spring, by a falling tree :(

My newer filter is a Savio, you can see in the back ground. Hideously ugly - LOL. I'm probably going to order some willow fencing to put around it and put a planter on top of it, with creeping jenny draping down. It's return line to the pond is a 2 inch PVC pipe. I don't like the loud splash, so am thinking about a diffuser of some kind. Obviously, I didn't do enough research on it, prior to purchase - LOL !

My husband said to me " Everything you do to improve the filtration, makes the pond uglier!"
View attachment 91692 View attachment 91693

@Tula The hydrangea hides the filter well, thanks for sharing the pics

I think that's funny about your husband saying all the improvements to the filtration makes the pond uglier. What are you gonna do though? The health of your fish is ultimately more important than how "pretty" your pond is (at least in my opinion anyway) That really stinks about your shower lantern being smashed by a tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
filter cover 1.jpg
cover b (1).jpg
Here are two shots of a cover I made last year for my Savio pump. If I see correctly what you're trying to cover this might be an option. The cover was made with hypertufa which is a blend of concrete, perlite, and peat moss. It makes a rock like object, but it much, much lighter. There are numerous tutorials online for how to make it and, by extension, faux rocks. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard either. Just takes time. I just got lucky with this one and it worked out for what I needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ahh i didnt opt for external filters for this one reason and more. Mine are all under water. What if it comes undone and drains my pond? Its ugly i don't want it in my gardens. Most folks bury them

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like my external filter for the ease of cleaning. It also has a drain on the side near the bottom so that it can be flushed out for cleaning so it can't be buried underground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes they are much easier to clean. The ones I saw had a wring out handle you just pull it and it rings the filter out. That'd be nice I guess

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I built mine inside the liner so if it leaks it all goes right back into the pond .Hoses are also run up the inside of the pond .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Home made filters for ponds .A simple tote with lava rock and a tank adapter works for a filter .I think they have pond filter builds on here in the diy section .My first filter was a tote in a tote with a tank adapter and lava rock and it worked great

Reaction score
Country
United States
Home made filters for ponds .A simple tote with lava rock and a tank adapter works for a filter .I think they have pond filter builds on here in the diy section .My first filter was a tote in a tote with a tank adapter and lava rock and it worked great

I had a homemade tote as my first filter too but it sat beside the pond as well. It worked great and didn't cost a ton but it was a pain to clean :meh:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put my lava rock in dollar store laundry bags .There are 3 in a package when you buy them .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ahh i didnt opt for external filters for this one reason and more. Mine are all under water. What if it comes undone and drains my pond? Its ugly i don't want it in my gardens. Most folks bury them

Here is my filter, pea gravel and plants, never mess with it except to yank excessive plant growth now and then. The pond is disappearing! The lilies are covering 50% of the pond now. Quick security camera snap.
upload_2016-6-8_18-42-49.png

Ask a Question