JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just about a month ago, I took three-day camping trip to Devil's Lake State Park in central Wisconsin. I've been wanting to go there for years and was finally able to make it happen! The area is unique in Wisconsin and nothing else in the state looks like it. The highlight of the park are the hiking trails that go up the East and West bluffs along the lake. They both gain over 500 feet in elevation, and it's about a four mile hike around the lake. Safe to say, the vast majority of the photos I'm sharing with you were taken along those trails.

Elephant Cave. The name comes from a nearby rock that resembles an elephant. I saw a photo of that rock online, but never did see it in person.
IMG_7927 copy.jpg

Climbing to the top of each bluff was great exercise, and I did it five times over three days. The climb up was worth the views.
IMG_8516 copy2.jpg

Views of Devil's Lake
IMG_8123 copy2.jpg

IMG_8141 copy2.jpg

IMG_8189 copy2.jpg

IMG_8258 copy2.jpg

IMG_8462 copy2.jpg

This State Park has train tracks run directly through it. I happened to be on the West bluff facing the East Bluff when I heard one roll through. Because it goes through a State Park, it doesn't go much more than 5 miles per hour through the park.
IMG_8511 copy2.jpg

The East bluff wraps around to the south and gives a great view of Lake Wisconsin in the distance.
IMG_8178 copy2.jpg

The park has all sorts of wildlife, but I didn't see very much while I was there. The park has 13 species of snakes alone, including Timber Rattlesnakes. This was actually the first time I've been in rattlesnake territory. In fact, it's also the first time I was in bear and wolf territory, too. I didn't see any rattlesnakes, bears, wolves, or the rumored mountain lion, but I did see three species of snakes, including this Milksnake that was tucked between rocks on the edge of the East bluff.
IMG_8128 copy.jpg

Twice during the trip, I went canoeing around the lake. Oddly, both the lake and the bluffs look smaller than they really are, even in person.
IMG_8297 copy2.jpg

IMG_8576 copy2.jpg

IMG_8621 copy2.jpg

On the far East side of the State Park, there's a State Natural Area called Parfrey's Glen. It's Wisconsin's first State Natural Area. I wish I could've walked the whole thing and taken more photos, but it was getting dark and I didn't think to bring a flashlight. I did get a few shots of this very scenic stream, though.
IMG_7961 copy2.jpg

IMG_7990 copy2.jpg

I had a great time and it was just as scenic as I hoped for. Hiking to the top of the bluff and eating lunch overlooking the lake as Turkey Vultures soar below me is a memory that will always stick with me. I sat here for about 45 minutes before deciding to take the hour walk back to camp due to storms in the forecast.
IMG_8519 copy2.jpg

Here's some of the video I took as well as many more photos:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I love that park. I have gone for the last 15 years with the scout troop. Badger Trails has the entire campground booked out for scouts to camp and hike. It is thelast weekend the camp ground in open for the season.The kids have a great time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Hmmm.... someone had said the camp ground was clsoed in winter. Good to know it is open. No bugs or people in November. :)

Ask a Question